Lesley
Newly Registered

Help me Choose a Hedging plant

:roll: Hi all. I live in zone 5a Canada..the east coast..Nova Scotia which would probably resemble Massachusetts or Maine. We have gardened a fair amount. On one side of our property (we have a half acre)...we have hydrangeas in the front side, then service berries along the rear side and back for privacy and noise reduction. In the actual yard we have a bridal wreath, a smoke bush we are trying to nurse along, purple sandcherries, wine and roses wigelia, a dwarf burning bush and two large burning bushes out back which are in there third year, and a nice display of sedum. These plants all do well. We also have naturally growing Maple and Oak. We have approximately 100 feet on the rear side that we would like to plant with a thick hedge plant that will stay green from top to bottom and mininum care. It should be very tolerant. Our soil drains well. I am looking for suggestions for a variety that grows 8 to 10 ft high and what you would recommend for spacing when we plant. It should also be a quick growing variety. Flowers don't matter. We are seeking privacy in that area and this hedge will cover approximately 100 ft in length. We want something that is thick, as there are youngsters next door that aren't watched as closely as they should be. We would like to be able to enjoy our back yard and let our dog enjoy it without fear of a child coming in when they wander off. That portion of the property faces south, and it would get a fair amount of sun but not overly sunny as it is blocked by buildings in the next yard. Flowers on the hedge don't matter. I just want some ideas for this area, or a webpage where I can find what I'm looking for and pics of same. Also, what is the optimum time for planting a hedge in my area? I guess the main thing is that it be thick and dense with summer long foliage as it matures. Thanks in advance!

Lesley
Newly Registered

:D I didn't receive any suggestions as yet, but through study and contact with a local plant expert, the most compatible hedge for my needs is the privet. Thanks all for reading, I will post when the hedge is in. If anyone knows of a site that details the actual planting guidelines and when is the most opportune time to plant the hedge, it would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep on researching online.

Good Luck with your gardens this year. Can't wait to see my plants come to blossom this spring. We've had a harsh heavy winter with a n'oreaster coming again tomorrow. Luckily most of my plants thrive on the snow cover!!!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Privet is deciduous. What about Arborviate or even Hemlock which can be sheared. they are evergreen.

Lesley
Newly Registered

Hemlock is on my list to check out, but we wanted more of a shrub consistency. Being deciduous doesn't bother me, and it suits our soil. We don't have softwoods on our property at all, except for our ornamental cedars. We had a lot of small evergreen trees in the back of our lot when we bought the place twenty years ago. The previous owner of my property had never cleared out the back lot, and we removed all the wild softwoods. It truly cut down on the blackfly problems. When it is time to buy, hemlock is on my list to consider and look at. I went to some sites after reading your post. One of the things about the rear yard, where the hedge will be, is that we are trying to do a "wild english garden effect". I haven't used any consistent pattern in my planting out there and it works well. Out front our plants are more uniform and have a pattern to the planting. We have stayed clear of highway right of ways and overhead lines etc when we plant. If you have time, could you post what you think might be the most optimum time for planting a hedge? I am hoping the ground is warm enough by late april, but is that too early for eastern canada? Thx :)

witnezz
Newly Registered

Privets tend to produce lots of seeded fruits if not maintained with pruning. In some regions, certain privet species are regarded as noxious, invasive weeds and may be prohibited to plant in landscapes.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”