grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

My father makes the most wonderful smoked salmon when he gets back from his sojourns on the ocean, and his main ingredient is Maple Syrup! There are many, many uses for it, beside pancakes!. :wink:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

Ohh that sounds yummy!
I just used our leftover salmon in an Italian dish last night. Turned out pretty good - always know if the DH takes seconds! lol.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Funny how gardeners plant fetishes are directly linked either to their libidos or their appetites... :roll:

Here's a passionate bit on the sugar maple from an earlier expert (Donald Culross Peattie from his classic A Natural History of Trees)

"The most magnificent display of color in all the kingdiom of plants is the autumnal foliage of the trees of North America. Over them all, over the clear light of the Aspens and the Mountain Ash, over the leaping flames of Sumac, over the war-paint of the many oaks (guess this IS old), rise the colors of one tree---the Sugar Maple---in the shout of a great army. Clearest yellow, richest crimson, tumultuous scarlet, or brilliant orange---the foliage of Sugar maple at once outdoes and unifies all the rest. It is like the mighty marching melody that rides upon the crest of some symphonic weltering sea and, with its crying song, gives meaning to all the calculated dissonance of the orchestra."

Thanks to Wild Bill Cullina for bringing this ebullient, effusive eloquence (called for some flowery praise) to our attentions in his Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines, the ONLY book on the subject...

Also of note in that description is that while yellow is the primary, it need not be the only color of the sugar maple (althought the tendency remains, and usually will vary within one tree, so ALL red still makes me think red maple).

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

Great info!
and:

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Funny how gardeners plant fetishes are directly linked either to their libidos or their appetites... :roll:

HG
Yes, yes they are. I like fresh tomatoes, eggplant, all fresh herbs... and I mostly cook Italian. lol. Growing garlic and onions are my next experiment here in GA. Shouldn't be too hard. :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Grey - onions and garlic I grow a tremendous amount of, and THE most important key I have found is water, water, water, and lots of warmth!

So Scott, if we didn't always eventually revolve around to food, why are we growing these gardens again? :lol:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am only recently a food gardener; I have been a sensual gardener for decades (easy to see where my mind goes :roll: )

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm both a sensual gardener and a veggie gardener. Does that just make me balanced?
And right now, there is nothing sensual about my yard! UGH. Sometimes I miss my yard in FL... I had things going where I wanted them, and my flower gardens were just starting to look so lovely. Oh well.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Oh Grey, I am glad you straightened that out - I was getting worried about where Scott was headed!! :lol:
I'm with you, I do it all, flowers, veggies, orchards (apples, pears, plums), fruit (grapes, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, saskatoons) I think that makes me pretty rounded!
I guess I can tell my sweetie I have a sensual side now!! :lol:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We aim for a balanced presentation here... :roll:

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I guess it's all a matter of perspective in the end.! :lol:

Hey Hugh, I bet you never dreamed you simple question about whether you had sugar maples would end up here !! :lol:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

grandpasrose wrote:I guess it's all a matter of perspective in the end.! :lol:

Hey Hugh, I bet you never dreamed you simple question about whether you had sugar maples would end up here !! :lol:
VAL
It has wandered pretty far from Sugar Maples now, hasn't it? :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sugar is a food, food is sensual...

No, in my twisted mind we are still right on topic...

Thoughts Hugh? (if you have not left the building... :lol: )

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

He probably rolled his eyes and gave up on us long ago!!! :lol:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Just like my family! :lol:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yours too? :lol:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

Wow... mine gave up too.
Actually, so did my husband's.
They decided we are a little too different... but they stay friendly anyway.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”