lynolyn
Newly Registered

Root Barrier for Eucalyptus Tree in Neighboring Yard?

We have several Eucs on the slope next to our yard. Raised beds are taken over with roots within one season. The roots will even creep up and consume the soil of any pot that gets regular water. This makes vegetable gardening almost impossible. We're trying elevated pots, but that really limits row crops and root crops. Does anyone have any suggestions for an effective root barrier?

thanks,
Lyn

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Aren't they tinderboxes? You might be better off using other trees that don't fan flames. I wouldn't want any near my home.

webmaster
Site Admin

I was assuming the trees were in the neighbor's yard.

lynolyn
Newly Registered

Sorry for the late response. Yes they are not the best in a fire, especially if they are stressed. These two are really healthy though. They survived the lurps a couple of years ago, but all the rest died and were removed.
They are on the city controlled slope, so unless there is a pest or the wind knocks them down at this point we are out of luck. There is actually a masonry wall with a footing that they are creeping under too.
As much as I dislike them as trees and the havoc they wreck on our garden...they are still very picturesque. I just want to be able to grow a garden without it being choked out.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”