Billy

fast growing hedge

Hi

I live in southern cal and am trying to figure out what would be a fast growing and somewhat low maintenance hedge to plant in my backyard for privacy along a fence line.

any sugestions?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hi again, Billy.

There was a discussion a while back about planting for a privacy screen at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10864

I know that the Sunset Western Garden Book also has a huge listing of recommended plants for this use. Unfortunately, I'm on the computer at my MIL's house right this minute, and don't have my Sunset book handy.

Will do what I can to update this thread later, either tonight or tomorrow, with Sunset's suggestions.

In the meantime, how much sun does the location receive? How much water from natural precipitation (since you'd like it to be low maintenance)? How tall would you like the plant to finish at? What kind of soil do you have?

That will help narrow down Sunset's lists considerably, because they suggest every possibility for every gardener in the western states and provinces. They have little graphics next to each plant, though, to indicate how much/little sun, water, etc. it needs.

Oh, one more question: are you willing to shape growth via pruning and then let the plant go, or does your "low maintenance" wish preclude pruning?

I'm sure there will be something just right!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Billy

thanks again cynthia

It's part sun part shade, I'd like to get 10 to 12 ft and my soil is good, I'm also going to improve it with some organic matter.
I am looking for something that stays narrow and up right.
I love pruning .... maybe low matinance is the wrong word for what I'm looking for.

I can't find my copy of the western book...huuummmm.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You may want to look into wax myrtle (Myrica cerifera).

They are evergreen here in zone 8. They grow pretty quickly to ten or twelve feet. And they make a very nice natural form plant that needs very little pruning.

Billy

I dig the myrtle... it has a nice natural look.

Thanks handi.

Billy

I think I've finally settled on the wax leaf privet.
My main concern is my back yard has a 7 foot block wall around the perimeter that puts the north side of the property boundary in full shade all day.
I'd like to plant the privet in the shade of the wall.
there is bright light but no direct sun.
Anyone have any idea if the privet will grow in looking full and be healthy in full shade?
One of the reasons I picked the privet is my home is 1890's victorian and I feel and a traditional look suits the house well.

Thank you

Billy

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

We cut our privet back to a stump in December 2007. It's on the east side of the house, towards the north. It receives a little sun, but not much, maybe 4 hours max. of filtered sunlight?

It lives under a juniper (torolosus? - twisting) and behind a 5-foot tall and 4-foot wide and 6-foot long jade plant "wall."

Today, DH and I were weeding and doing other work outside. I nipped a few outlier branches off of the privet.

After only 14 months, that thing is up to my nose! Almost 5 feet tall in 14 months!!! :shock:

Cynthia

Billy

Thanks C !!!!!
I'm buying the plants this week
If anyone else has had luck with full shade and privet please say hello...

Thanks again

Great forum you have here.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”