mypoordyingtree
Newly Registered

How to Save an Umbrella Tree That's Dropping Leaves?

hi

I'm here to save my umbrella tree please help he's all branch and no bushyness
I rescued him from the dark basement of a mall and he has gone from the brink of death to somthing else
recently he s lost alot of leaves ive cut him back but I'm afraid to cut any further.

I want him to flourish to live a long and healthy life but I think he might be dying or not very happy

if anyone has any advise please message me

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Without a picture, I'm not exactly certain what plant you have. There are more than one, all very different, commonly known as Umbrella Trees. I'm going to assume it's a Schefflera. Here are some links to sites that might be of help. Perhaps you will find that you need to place it in a different location in your home, in order for it to grow well. :)

https://www.plant-care.com/schefflera-arboricola.html

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1511.htm

https://en.allexperts.com/q/House-Plants-721/Rooting-Schefflera-plant.htm

bali

umbrella tree cuttings .

Someone sent me 4 and I killed 2.

Mine grow in water alone and survived , the ones in the dirt died?

I am new to them..
b

AZDesertGal
Newly Registered

I also have an umbrella tree (schefflera-arboricola) is loosing leaves from the bottom. They come off in clumps. My plant is the one which has green and yellow through the leaves. I have had it about a month and it is a 10 gal plant. It was OK the first couple weeks. I asked when I bought it if it sheds leaves and they told me it didnt. The leaves it sheds are brown. It is an indoor plant due to the high temps here and is under florescent lighting 9-14 hours daily. I water about 3-4 times a week and try to mist daily since it is so dry here. In this same area I have many other 10 gallon plants which most are thriving. Am I overwatering? I notice the top of the soil gets dry about every other day.

greenqueen

AZgirl, I do think you're over watering. I bought a huge schefflara last year and after just a few weeks it started dropping leaves like crazy. They were turning yellow, then black and dropping off. I was watering it once a week in the sink, letting it fully drain and putting it back in the pot. After a few months of this I started skipping a week between waterings and it finally stopped dropping and a month or two later started to grow new shoots.

My plant was a little lopsided so I recently took several cuttings to even it out, potted them up with some rooting hormone and put them in a plastic bag to create humidity. They look really good so far.

Hope that helped.

greenqueen

AZgirl, I do think you're over watering. I bought a huge schefflara last year and after just a few weeks it started dropping leaves like crazy. They were turning yellow, then black and dropping off. I was watering it once a week in the sink, letting it fully drain and putting it back in the pot. After a few months of this I started skipping a week between waterings and it finally stopped dropping and a month or two later started to grow new shoots.

My plant was a little lopsided so I recently took several cuttings to even it out, potted them up with some rooting hormone and put them in a plastic bag to create humidity. They look really good so far.

Hope that helped.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”