LynnW

Autumn Blaze Maple Tree - Anyone Familar With Them?

We have just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple in the back yard which faces east. It appears to be doing really well, but its only been in the ground about 2 weeks now. The husband seems to think he should douse it with water every day. So far its tolerated this. Does anyone know if this tree has any idiosyncracies that I should be aware of? It has some low branches that hubby would like to trim off but I have convinced him to wait until I got an opinion on that. I think he should wait to trim the low branches until at least next spring.

LynnW

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Lynn! Good instincts! Your Autumn Blaze Maple Tree is known for it's drought tolerance, and is actually a low water tree. It was probably okay to water the tree quite a bit upon first planting, but I would think it's okay to back of now. Maybe water it once a week with a longer soak, rather than alot of small drinks.
Your tree should be planted in full sun as well, and likes well drained soil.
I would tend not to do any pruning until spring. Your tree has already had one shock by being planted, and I wouldn't want to stress it more by pruning it now. Let it get settled in before giving it another jolt! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

All good tips Val, although it's pretty hard to overwater red maples (Acer rubrum), especially when they are young as this one (We actually have an ecotype in the Northeast known as red maple swamp; they grow fine in swampy situations). This cultivar has been noted by the urban forestry cognescenti as drought tolerant (2003 Urban Tree of the Year), but the apple don't fall far from the tree as they say...

SO you are correct about the trimming part, but I'm siding with Hubby on the water, at least for another two weeks (or until heavy rain starts...)

Diplomatically, :roll:

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Feeling stuck in the middle Scott? :lol:
You are probably right given that this is just a new planting, and it should probably get more water for a while longer. But I wouldn't worry about it much beyond that.
Compromisingly, :lol:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

On that we can agree...

Scott

LynnW

Thanks guys! Then I'll let hubby do his water thing for a while longer - at least until it is firmly rooted. I appreciate all the info. We have not done much gardening until this year so need all the help we can get! :D
LynnW

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No problem! That's what the forum is all about - feel free to stop by anytime! :wink:
VAL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You two are hilarious! :lol:

Let me see.... what was I going to add?..... It's gone.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”