LynnW

Exbury Azalea - HELP!

Hi again,

Just full of questions I guess! I purchased late this summer a Hotspur Red Exbury Azalea. It is planted on the north west area of the front yard and gets plenty of sun. It has new growth on it but the upper leaves look kinda burnt around the edges and they droop. It gets lots of water every day. I don't know anything about these except they have beautiful flowers in the spring, if I can get it to the spring without dying. Can anyone tell me anything about this bush? How big does it get and does it spread?

Thanks
LynnW

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Lynn!
It sounds to me like your azalea is getting too much sun based on the browning leaves. In my experience these are such easygoing plants - I rarely bothered to water mine even in Florida, and certainly haven't watered the ones that were here already when I moved to N. GA. (I uh, don't care for the color the previous owner put in, believe it or not, but they are quite happy in their state of neglect!) You may just be giving it too much attention!

Found this on one site:

"Azaleas prefer cool, partially shaded sites, such as the filtered shade of pine trees. Azaleas planted beneath hardwoods with shallower roots must compete with these trees for nutrients and water. If placed in the right location, however, they can do well on these sites. Although some varieties tolerate sun better than others, they all prefer an area that is not exposed to long periods of hot full sun and drying winds. Flowers last longer when plants are partially shaded. Azaleas exposed to full sun are more susceptible to lace bugs. Early morning sun exposure after a hard freeze may cause cold injury. Do not plant azaleas in heavy shade as poor flowering and weak growth result."

I have one other concern - Illinois may be a bit too far north for azaleas. I have friends and relatives there and have never seen/heard of one surviving even a warm zone 6 outside of a greenhouse. I've not heard of your particular variety so maybe it is more cold hardy?

This is one site that tells a little about Azalea care : https://www.redlandsnursery.com.au/infoplants/azalcare.htm

EDIT: here is a site that actually lists which Azaleas do well in cooler climates: https://www.freeplants.com/azalea_propagation_and_care.htm

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Grey you are spot on about the lighting, but Exburys are really hardy and should do fine there...(we grow them at the nursery)

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well that's good to know - I was afraid somebody had been selling plants in the wrong zone! I'll be sure to tell family in IL about that variety then. One of my aunts is looking to add some color to her yard.

LynnW

Oh, thanks so much! It does get a fair amount of sun so maybe that is why it is looking kinda dreary. If it survives the winter maybe I'll re-locate it to the back yard which is much shadier.
LynnW

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Wait until the leaves drop and move it this fall; that'll allow the roots to get back in place for spring...

LynnW

Thanks. I'll do that. Guess that would give it a better start for spring.
Lynn

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”