LynnW

Newbie Question on Ill Rose of Sharon

Hello,

I am new and soooo glad to have found this forum. I have not done a TON of gardening so am not familar with things such as my poor ROS. I just planted this ROS tree in July and it has been doing beautifully!. Tons of blue/purple blossoms and dark green leaves. Just today I noticed the leaves turning yellow and drooping. We have had a drought here in the Chicago area so I have been watering my ROS daily. Just recently I dug down beside it and put some Soil Moist in the hole to help keep the soil moist around the tree. The soil now has a greenish look to it on top (what I can see - the tree has decorative stone around it) and it looks really moist. If I havem in fact, watered it too much how do I get the poor ROS to recover? Please, tell me there is a remedy! If not I run the risk of being called a tree murderer by my hubby!

Thanks
LynnW

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

This is one of the hungriest feeders I know and I suspect it has used up the available nutrients and the yellow is it going hungry. We like organic fertilizer, but this one doesn't care WHERE the goodies come from; just bring more...So...feed it with a lower nitrogen fertilizer so we don't start too many new shoots...

And you are just fine... 8)

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

I know there is a bad drought in Illinois right now! My family up there has let me know which of their poor plants are in need of help!

It sounds like your ROS may need more nitrogen. Typically, in many plants, yellowing leaves indicate a lack in that department. You can add a simple 10-10-10 or just mix some crushed eggshells into your soil around the plant.

If you think you have overwatered - it will recover on its own unless it's sitting in water for too long a time and the roots begin to rot. Just dig a couple inches into your soil and see if it is dry down below - if it is, you need more water. Typically for me when checking a bush or shrub if it is dry below the first inch of soil it's time to water.

Edit: haha Scott, we posted near the same time!

LynnW

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! I am going out now to give it some Miracle Grow. Guess I have been so intent on getting everything water I have forgotten to feed! Duh! Egg shells, huh? Maybe I should put some of those around in the soil along with the Miracle Grow?

LynnW

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If you must use the blue goo...organics will stay in the soil longer, so organic feeding is a better long term solution (for the plant and the planet).

Grey
Greener Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:If you must use the blue goo....
lol - I guess you can tell we aren't super crazy about commercial fertilizer around here! I always list both options just because some people would rather do one than the other.

LynnW

:lol: The Blue Goo! Well, guess it will be egg shells then! They are much more organic!
Lynn

Grey
Greener Thumb

LynnW wrote::lol: The Blue Goo! Well, guess it will be egg shells then! They are much more organic!
Lynn
And cheap!
I have lots of them because I give my dogs a raw diet (yes, I'm health obsessed, even for the dogs) anyway I go through a dozen eggs a week just with them, and another dozen between myself and my husband. So for $2 a week we get fed and so do the plants!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I compost my garden waste and that was all I used for fertilizer this year; it worked great...

Scott

LynnW

Guess we are both obsessed then as my 2 Golden Retrievers have been totally raw fed for going on 6 years now. :D Wouldn't feed them any other way!
Lynn

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As for the pooches, so goest the garden...

LynnW

Forgot to ask - how often would you do the egg shell thing? Can I do this for all my shrubs and trees?
Lynn

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yep - all your shrubs/trees/flowers will thank you for the eggshells. I'm not sure on frequency - I just go around the yard feeding as I get them. So one bush gets them this week, that tree gets them the next... :lol:

Opa or Val will probably tell you better.

Raw feeding is catching on! Wouldn't feed any other way either! I know most people give their dogs the egg WITH the shell, but I'd rather give my shells to the plants. lol.

LynnW

Thanks! I do a lot of baking so I'll just save those shells for the plants. My GOldens do get the shell with the egg - good source of calcium!

Lynn

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”