screech
Newly Registered

gold medallion tree dies every year - please help!

Hi, we live near Orlando, FL. We saw this tree at Walt Disney world and loved it. We planted it, and every year it grows like crazy and has tons of blooms. But each winter, it dies back to a black stick and it doesn't come back. However, it grows very easily from seed, so we have these trees popping up all over our yard, and each year they die completely.

I'm really hoping to keep a tree where I initially wanted it to grow, and for it to grow huge and healthy year after year. Our winters are very mild here. Should I trim it down very short in the fall and cover it over th winter on the cooler nights? Any suggestions would be great. This has happened now each winter for 6 years!! Thanks so much!

Sandy

applestar
Mod

When I googled for gold medallion tree, the results showed that this tree is recommended for USDA Zones 10~12.... Only the southern most parts of Florida is Zone 10. Orlando is 9b... Maybe your area is just a bit too cold. :?

If you can create or find a micro-climate in your garden to increase the protection level, maybe you can successfully over winter your tree. Immediate ideas that comes to mind are to grow against a South-facing wall or in a planting bed surrounded by hard-scape patio, on the north side of a pool/pond to take advantage of reflected heat, etc.

You might find out how they're keeping their trees alive at WDW too.

Good luck! :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”