rytis
Newly Registered

Blue evergreens becoming green, how to keep them blue?

I have blue colorado spruce and couple other supposed to be BLUE ever greens, but I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me or if they are not as blue as they once were or not as blue as in some other places.... mine look very healthy, but could it be a lack of some mineral or is there some special trick to bring out the blue color? my main concern is contrast from the grass, maybe my grass is not as green

one of my evergreens blue rug jupiter which I clearly remember to be bluer then grass in the summer, is now same color as grass, so some colors DEFINETELY changed and it's not my eyes

oops, and my text on this forum has become completely small, I can't even see what I'm typing

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps you hit Control - while you were typing? Make the type larger with Control +.

If you have a Mac (I do), use Command - for smaller type and Command + for larger type.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

rytis
Newly Registered

thx. text size is back to normal, just the plants

opp2

My experience is that the wax on the blues sometimes fades through the season. I found the same experience with my blues.

I have 2 colorado blue spruce, a blue globe spruce, 1 witchita (used to be two) and a blue rug.

you will find that early in the season late may, early june, when the new needles bud they will be a nice blue, but the colour comes from the wax on the needles. Dependant on the effects of the season and the exposure, the wax will wear.

My largest 'blue' spruce is actually green on the inner needles. Same with my smaller blue.

My blue globe is a green/grey on the inside right now, with bright blue on the outside.

--that's my exprience anyway.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”