sharik
Newly Registered

Amur Cherry vs Amur Maple?

I am hoping someone can give me some info about the Amur Cherry and Amur Maple. My homebuilder has planted an Amur Cherry in my fairly small front yard, and I am not sure if I want to keep it. I'm not such a big fan of berry trees because of the 'mess' caused when they fall and squish, and I read online that the amur cherry would likely be 40ft tall with a 20-30 ft diameter. Eek! That sounds huge! I was reading someone else's post on here a couple months ago and fell in love with the Amur Maple. I LOVE autumn, and that is one breathtaking fall tree. My mother-in-law tells me that it's bad for roots going into the water/sewer lines...is this true? The water main for my street is situated pretty much directly below the location where my Amur Cherry is currently planted (and even if I switched the tree out, I'd likely replant in the same locale, unless advised otherwise).

Any advise on the trees I mentioned, or direction to entirely different trees would be greatly appreciated. I live just outside Edmonton, Alberta. (North Central Alberta). I'm guessing my yard is about 800-900 sq.ft. (split at the centre by my front sidewalk).

Thank you!

:)Shari

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Where did you get the information about the 20- to 30-foot diameter?

I just now performed an Internet search on "Amur Cherry" + tree and found an informational and, I believe, reliable site (U. Wisconsin). Perhaps the tree won't be as large or invasive as you fear:

https://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/features/woodies/amur%20cherry/Prunus%20maackii.htm

Probably the same search on "Amur Maple" + tree would provide equally reliable information.

I tend to give more credibility to websites with .edu, .org, and (sometimes...) .gov as their domain rather than .com or even .net. Do you by chance remember where you read the "20- to 30-foot diameter" statement?

Thx.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

sharik
Newly Registered

Thanks for the link on the Amur cherry. When I was looking on line I googled it for Web and Images...not too sure which I found the info, but I believe it looked like some sort of landscaping or tree nursery website. I appreciate your time in looking it up for me.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”