kluck5
Newly Registered

Autumn Blaze Maple Shriveled & Brown - Is it Dying?

This Mother's Day my husband bought me an Autumn Blaze Maple. We planted it in our front yard and seems to have been doing well, until last week. The leaves along the bottom shriveled up, turned brown and died off. This is continuing all the way up to the top. I'm no tree expert but the bark seems to be healthy. Is my tree dying? If so, why? Can I do anything to save it? Please, please somebody help me. I absolutely love this tree as it has sentimental value more than anything.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Hi, kluck5! Welcome from Michigan! It sounds like you have a Japanese Maple? Or if it's a regular maple? then you'll probably get a better response to your questions on either the tree section or Japanese garden section.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

The 'Autumn Blaze' is a hybrid of acer saccharinum and A. rubrum. Sounds to me as if it's over for your tree based on your description. Maples are susceptible to a multitude of fungal infections. I get the strange premonition this was brewing before you received it as a gift and the stress of transplant accelerated the process.

Without sending a sample to a lab, thoughts right now are that your tree had Verticillium wilt. This would be about the right time of year for a tree with Verticillium wilt to do exactly as you described. This pathogen transfers to the tree via the roots so if you are going to purchase a replacement tree for that spot, don't select one that is susceptible to Verticillium wilt and don't purchase your replacement tree from the same nursery you bought this one from. Some nurseries propagate from seed then grow them out in specific areas, re-use pots, or heal plants in over winter in the same area year after year- not good when dealing with fungal infections. Also, do not chip out this tree when it is removed to use it as mulch around other trees. Just burn it.

Fungicides will not save this tree so please save your money.

kluck5
Newly Registered

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. AFTER WE DIG UP THE TREE CAN I PLANT ANOTHER TREE IN THAT SAME SPOT OR WILL THE GROUND BE UNHEALTHY?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I guess for lack of a better term, you should consider the ground "unhealthy" for another Maple or any species susceptible to VW. There are some soil drenches that could be used but you'd have to take in a sample and confirm this is Verticillium wilt and even then there is no way on God's green earth I'd allow any of the products traditionally used to make soil "healthy" to be dumped on any property that I'm ever within a mile of. You can plant another tree in the exact same spot, you really shouldn't plant one that is susceptible to VW though and definitely not another Maple even if there is a variety out there being sold that is allegedly VW resistant. Resistant doesn't mean immune and you don't know for sure what's happened so best to play it safe and steer clear of anything in that genus.

Are you feeling as if you'd like to probe a little further to try to better determine on your own if your tree had VW?
https://www.treesforyou.org/Planting/TreeCare/Healthy/vertwilt.htm
Self explanatory.

Really sorry about your tree. I'm sentimental myself and go to great lengths to save gift plants.

You should probably indicate which state you are gardening in so people can provide you with replacement suggestions for that space that will soon be lacking a tree. If not, Quercus marcrocarpa (Bur Oak) or Ostrya virginiana (American Hophornbeam/ Ironwood) would both be safe bets for the Eastern US and personally, I think both of those are far superior to the 'Autumn Blaze' Maple you were given anyway (shhh... don't tell your husband). Fifteen to twenty years down the road from now, you'll still be able to plant something underneath a Bur Oak or an American Hophornbeam even if it is just a few hostas. Maples are notorious for being surface feeders and getting anything to grow underneath them as they mature can be beyond challenging. Think of all those older subdivisions that have maples as specimens in the front yards and it's difficult not picturing big bald spots lacking even grass underneath them. Not that a maple isn't a great tree in the right spot but they often aren't the best choice for a residential lot where curb appeal down the road may be an important factor when listing a home for sale.

One last thing, there are hundreds of oaks out there. Don't let some nursery person tell you that any oak will work in that location. You don't have any lab results of what killed your gift tree and you'd be gambling if you put an oak in the red oak family back in that spot. Seriously, your choices for that location are very limited without a lab report of what killed of that 'Autumn Blaze'.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Sigh. :( Just to add my 2p, to what The Lorax said, is absolutely right. I have to face losing a mature sugar maple in my back yard this year or next, and of course the entire back yard is a: shaded by said tree; and b: entirely planted with shade-loving plants. So, looks like I'll be collecting patio umbrellas for the next few years and growing those in my back yard until a suitable replacement has matured. Sorry to hear about your tree.

Hey, Lorax, contact me under the trees/shrubs section, if you would?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hi Pat ;)

I'm actually out of town right now just blowing off some time screwing around online. I may have remote access to my desktop at home but I don't have access to any of my resource stashes laying all over the house. If you need me to look something up for you in a book or paper, it will have to wait until this weekend. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to trees I go.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Oh, ok. Whenever you get a chance is fine by me. I'll forget I asked, anyway... :roll:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”