StaceKadet
Newly Registered

Red Mulberry

My bf and I have been considering keeping one (Morus rubra -- red mulberry). We don't want it to get too large (because we live in a townhome where the landscaping rules are pretty restrictive) and figured that as a pruning group 1 I could prune to keep it small-medium in size... and in a ceramic pot? Is this okay?

We are in Charlotte, NC. Will the tree be too young to survive winter if I plant it outside now? Or should I plant it in a pot and keep it outside until frost??

Thanks for the help!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Mulberries tend to be messy, fruit. No you can keep it outside but make sure you water if the winter is dry a mistake many people make because the leaves are gone.

StaceKadet
Newly Registered

oooh thanks! I would definitely have not thought of that! Much appreciate the advice. Will it be okay in a pot? We don't want it to get too large and our neighborhood has restrictions on trees. We are growing it for its leaves. (We have silkworms as feeders for other pets and have found buying the leaves/concentrated mix has gotten expensive.)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Nope, won't be ok in a pot. I guess you will have to give it away to someone who has the space to accommodate a small tree and buy a more suitable replacement or you'll have to go ahead and plant it and risk having to take it down if you are ever sent a warning. At which point you could simply start all over with a smaller Morus rubra.

I personally wouldn't plant it in the ground until it was dormant. You can dig the hole now and ready it for the plant but I'd hold off transplanting until it has lost all of its leaves. Less stress to the plant this way.

I don't worry about mulberry fruits ever being messy. The birds wipe every last fruit from my trees before we ever get a chance at any of them.

StaceKadet
Newly Registered

Ohhh really? Well, lucky we haven't bought it yet!! We NEVER purchase anything until we are 100% sure of the plan. OKay.. I will have to enlighten my boyfriend about this and then go from there. Thanks for the help!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”