popsicle
Newly Registered

Roma Tomatoes ...Mushy Texture

My roma tomato plants look healthy and are producing well but the roma tomatoes have a soft mushy texture. Does anyone know the reason for this and how to prevent it next season? The other varieties of tomatoes in my garden are doing well ...good texture...great taste. Just a battle to keep the squirrels from picking them! :) Thanks for any suggestions you may have regarding the romas or even the squirrels.. :D

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

If by "mushy" you mean mealy, some varieties are meant to taste this way because they are geared towards making sauce, not eating raw.

If they're mushy because they're overripe, try picking a few that are only just starting to turn color, put them in a paper bag and close them up for a few days. They should turn color and perhaps the texture will be more firm. It's worth a shot!

Other than that, all I can say is plant a different variety next year ;)

popsicle
Newly Registered

:) Thank you for your suggestion. Yes they are more mealy than mushy. And I've tried picking them before they become overripe...same texture though. So next year it's a new variety!

cgiglio01

I had trouble with the Roma too and the Juliet and the san marzano. I've had very good luck with the variety called Milano. I got it here: www.kitchengardenseeds.com. Great meat texture, flavor and lots of them!

Good luck next year!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”