bakingbetty
Newly Registered

6 Foot Beefsteak Tomato Plant - No Flowers or Fruit

Hi...I'm new to this site and also pretty new to gardening. This is only my second year growing tomatoes...and last year I had some success, but this year has been a little harder. I have four plants, three of which are doing pretty well...especially the Green Zebra plant. But I have one HUGE beefsteak tomato plant (probably 6 feet tall) that has no flowers or fruit. I"m not sure what I'm doing wrong! At this point, midway through the season, I'm tempted to pull it as it continues to grow, and is beginning to overpower the garden. Any suggestions? I also have an eggplant plant that is growing so quickly and a red pepper plant that is alos pretty big, but no fruit on either one...when do these plants usually start producing fruit?

Thanks !!!! :P [/b]

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I would guess that the beefsteak tomato has been over fertilized. Here are a couple of things that could be worth a try. Definitely do no fertilize as long as foilage looks good. Maybe withhold water to stress the plant a bit. Finally, if the above doesn't work, rather than pulling the plant, you may want to simply crop the top 2/3 of the plant. I've never had the problem before however, and these are just some things that I would try were the plant in my garden.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I agree! Plants that have plenty (or too much) of nitrogen in the soil are content to just grow and be plants without flowering or fruiting. Some stress is necessary to stimulate the plant into fruiting.

Anonymous

bakingbetty wrote:... At this point, midway through the season, I'm tempted to pull it as it continues to grow, and is beginning to overpower the garden. ...[/b]
No need to pull it. Prune it. Beefsteak are indeterminate plants so it will continue to grow. The stress from pruning ("tipping") the longest, most offensive vine(s) will be enough. Do not overdo or it can shock it to death. One, maybe two, is enough at one time.
If it is really out of control "tip" one now back to 2' long and do others later after the plant recovers a bit. Pinching(tipping) the growing tips on the others now will stop the forward growth in the interim. Do not pinch the (lower) suckers if you pinch the growing tips or you still won't get any ripe tomatoes this season.

When you say 'beefsteak' I assume you mean *the* "Beefsteak" (heirloom) tomato but if it is a variety, such as the "Bush Beefsteak" it could be determinate. Please check to make sure which before pruning.
BTW, if it is determinate, one does not pinch suckers ...oops.

The other advice here is great too.
I would only add that a tsp of Epsom Salts(Mg sulfate) might be added as sidedressing. It does tend to stimulate flower production. Getting the flowers pollinated this time of year is another whole issue ...

Sidedressing == spread around and a few inches from the base of the plant. Work into soil lightly with (hand) cultivator. Add water.

For reference, I planted a Better Boy(an indeterminate tomato plant) for my neighbors this year(long story ...) but somehow the plant was broken and there was only one leaf on it and not the growing tip. Since I knew indeterminate plants often can come back from such, I took care of it for a little while to make sure it had (extra) water and then ignored it (and the others). It is enormous now. In truth, it is close to climbing over my fence. LOTS of tomatoes on it.

A good article: https://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/pruning-tomatoes.aspx

Have Fun!

WAYNE BODKINS

I am wondering if anyone has heard of doing this, but if one has a tomato plant that is not producing fruit, one should go out into the garden with a switch and switch it to stimulate it. Wives tale or truth?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

WAYNE BODKINS wrote:I am wondering if anyone has heard of doing this, but if one has a tomato plant that is not producing fruit, one should go out into the garden with a switch and switch it to stimulate it. Wives tale or truth?
A switch as in a tree branch? And beat on it?

Or maybe an electrical switch and give it some shock treatments?

Either one would be really funny on u-tube :lol:

WAYNE BODKINS

petalfuzz
I forgot, but to know what a switch was, one would have to be, shall we say, slightly more mature? Yes, a switch as in a tree branch.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

WAYNE BODKINS wrote:petalfuzz
I forgot, but to know what a switch was, one would have to be, shall we say, slightly more mature? Yes, a switch as in a tree branch.
No offense taken, but I'm very close to the big 3-0! We got spanked with either a wooden spoon or a hairbrush. I did hear about the "switch" growing up, but never saw one nor had to cut one.

Anyway, it's still funny to think about actually doing this to your tomato plants! :D

mbaker410

You don't have to be Mature to know what a switch is... I am 24 and I know very well what a switch is! I think we need more switches and for the kids of today to fully understand as well! :)

I agree with everyone else in that you need to shock the plant some how but just make sure you don't over do it. But honestly if you do nothing you may not get any fruit so if you try and you kill it its the same result as doing nothing.

Mike

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”