noqgardener

Better Tomato Cages?

I have 2 giant tree tomato plants and they are growing wildly outside their tomato cages, for now they are steaked by the cages I put in when I planted them and a few spares. what can I do for next year? I really like this variety the tomatoes are large and I am starting to get quite a bit.

dinker

Sorry I'm not much help ive never grown tree tomatoes .but I'm sure someone wll be able to help .this is just a guess in the dark but would plastic lattece work :?:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Buy concrete re-inforcing wire. Cut the desired length and then bend into cylindrical cages.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Tractor Supply sell a 6 foot roll of wire thats similar to what Alex suggested but it's a bit thinner and easier to use than the concrete wire. I've used both and like the concrete stuff but my wife can't work it, I have to. The rebar does last nearly forever.

JennyC
Green Thumb

Hog wire should be stout enough, too. A farm supply would have it, and if you're lucky they might sell it by the foot. I'd check prices on all three options. The hog wire would be very difficult to work, also -- my husband trellised some peas with it, but I couldn't have. And he used a block and tackle to move the big roll.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”