MarkFD
Newly Registered

What Can be Done to Improve Plant Production?

I have a large area in my back yard where I've been planting tomatoes for the last 9 years. In early spring I till in some composted manure from bags. This year when I planted, I added Tomato-tone 4-7-10 to the hole with the plants. After reading other posts I trimed the lower couple branches from the bottom of the plants after they grew a couple inches. That was back in the end of May. Some of my plants have started to produce fruits and some have not. Last night I added some more composed manure around the plants.

My question is, is there other things that I can add around the plants to improve production at this stage, like grass clippings, leaves? Almost all my leaves are oak but I do put them through a shreader in the Fall and Spring. Are oak leaves too acidic for tomatoes? Thanks for any help.

SarahFair

My dad said never use grass clippings cause they can cause disease and it wont allow proper circulation..
Thats all I can tell you though!

MarkFD
Newly Registered

Actually that helps allot because I tried that a couple years ago both for nutrients and to help stop weeds from growing around the plants. I don't know if it helped or not and the next year I tried leaves from the bottom of my compost pile.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”