Grey
Greener Thumb

Blight from getting wet?

I was just on another fourm and a member was saying how she ran outside at 6am to cover her tomato plants from the rain so they would not get blight from getting wet.

Is this normal? I've never covered my tomatoes except from frost. And that's even considering the "rainy season" in FL where it rains heavily every afternoon, at or around 4pm, and is so humid and sickly outside after that. I grew tomatoes down there for 5 years, so I couldn't have just been lucky.

Just wondering. :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

The only thing I can think of is that this would prevent soil from splashing up on them, which may carry the dreaded spores.? :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There you are Val. It's not the rain, it's the by-product...

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

Ah, that would make sense. And maybe her variety is a little more succeptible (sp?) to blight.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's actually not the blight, but botrytis that is the big issue here, but the damage remains the same...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, pruning the lower leaves from the plant may be the answer for your friend (or acquaintence). I don't personally do this but, I have a lot of acquaintances that do and they don't have any problems. (Of course, I don't have any problems either. :wink: )
Last edited by opabinia51 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Do it myself and it works great. I'd recommend it...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”