noqgardener

When to start tomatoes

I plan on growing at least some of my own tomatoes, varieties include itallian ice (white) and green zebra heirloom, I was thinking of starting them after the first of the year would that be enough time?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Most seed packs recommend six weeks before the last frost. I start my plants around mid January though. Set the plants outside when the day time temperature is greater than about 60 degrees, perhaps set them out in a cold frame if it feels really windy or is sunny and in the 50's. Those plants get really strong with strong stems and dark foilage, and are not subject to sunscald or wind burn when eventually placed into the garden. Size the pots up so that the roots can continue to expand and not become pot bound. Here in zone 8, the plants are generally placed in the garden around the 21st of April.

mbaker410

I did not start my seeds until mid-April and I know that was late but I wanted to give it a shot anyway. I have 3 foot tall tomatoes, 2 foot tall peppers, healthy broccoli and cucumbers that I just started harvesting.

So I guess depending on the length of your growing season even if you get a late start you can still get a harvest just a little later in the year.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

mbaker410 wrote:I did not start my seeds until mid-April and I know that was late but I wanted to give it a shot anyway. I have 3 foot tall tomatoes, 2 foot tall peppers, healthy broccoli and cucumbers that I just started harvesting.

So I guess depending on the length of your growing season even if you get a late start you can still get a harvest just a little later in the year.
Exactly what I did also. I planted my seedlings in the ground last week of May and am getting lots of fruit growing now, but none ripe yet. I don't mind much though because most of the tomatoes will be going to sauce.

I also didn't want to bother with hot caps, so I waited to plant outside until the temps were above 55F or so...

RedEyedRooster
Newly Registered

I started March 23rd which I found was to early (over zellous) problem becomes care for plants in small containers (not so bad), transplanting and then figuring out new watering (now alot more room is taken up), sufficiant light for larger area, then care for now large 24"+ plant (snowball effect). Next year I plan to pick a planting date after projected last frost in my zone during full moon and start 40days before that date. I'm thinking this gives me enough time from 3"1/2x3"cup seed to get healthy plants around 12" tall ready for 2nd transplanting from 5"1/4x5"1/4x6" pot to outdoors. This time table should give me time with no stress in case germination doesnt go well on all the different tomato plants I'll be trying this coming year.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”