tcy1227

Thoughts on Fertilizing/Feeding after fruit set

Hi All,

I have heard mixed advice on feeding plants after fruit sets. I have 3 heirloom plants in a cedar box on my deck in NYC. The plants are fruiting well, and about 6 feet tall at this point.

The first month or two of growing, I used Miracle-gro (wish I had gone completel organic) to feed about once every 2 weeks.

Any advice on feeding now? I am curious as my fruit, while very tasty (I have harvested 3 tomatoes, with a bunch more about to be ripe), are not as big as I anticipate or wished for. In fact, on my Buck's County, there is one bunch with a relatively large fruit (tennis ball size) but the others are smaller - about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Will feeding or fertilizing help grow bigger fruit? If so, what is best to use? There is a liquid fish fertilizer at my local garden shop/hardware store, but it seems high in nitrogen - If memory serves me, t is 3-1-1.

Any advice?

Thanks
Tom
Last edited by tcy1227 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have always fed my tomatoes all throughout the growing season. It never seemed to hurt them in any way. :)

Carre

Are you sure you're using 3-1-1?

They do need nitrogen since they can't make it them selves but, I think 5-10-10 is better.

Excess nitrogen can encourage excess vine growth and interfere with fruit set. But it doesn't sound like you have a problem with fruit set.

Phosphorous and potassium are key to larger fruit

https://www.njtomato.com/growtip7.htm

Carre

Sorry, Didn't answer your original question.

Fertilizing throughout the life of the tomato plant is fine.

Just not too much. Your fertilizer should say how often on the packaging.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”