fabulousmindy

no green tomatoes, why?

This is my third year vegetable gardening. We have had really odd weather this year. Unusually cool and rainy. My tomatoes have a ton of foliage and blossoms (which are not falling off) but very few green tomatoes. I usually have a lot of ripening going on now.

also, my spacing is bad, but that is the same every year I am too ambitious...

Any thoughts?

tcy1227

Hi Mindy,

I am no expert by any means but I have been posting to this forum obsessively, as this is my first year gardening. I have learned that failure of leaves to pollinate themselves may be the resut of cold(ed) weather - although you may not be below the threshold temperature. Perhaps this is a cause. Other things I have heard - lack of bees to pollinate. I thought I had the same problem a while ago, as we had a very cold spring, so I began to self-pollinate by using a q-tip going from flower to flower and just rubbing the q-tip around inside the flowers. I now have a ton of tomatoes growing!

Also, my three plants are relatively close (approx 18-20 inches apat) which, if I had to do it again, I would have expanded the distance (I am using a planter though, so limited room). Point is: I have not had a problem with flowers developing into fruit based on the spacing, though.

Hope that is of SOME help. If not, I am sure someone else will give you more expert advice.

Tom

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

A few people here use power toothbrushes to stimulate pollination. I personally use a Tide Spin brush designed to get stains out of clothes. I apply the back of the brush (not the bristles) on the stem of the flower cluster and vibrate it for a second or two. I have a lot of green tomatoes growing now. It works for peppers, too. Theory is, it makes vibrations that mimic the buzzing of bees and stimulates the flower to release its pollen.

fabulousmindy

Thanks for all the advice. I read in another post that shaking the plants would help, so I tried that yesterday. And I pulled a lot of sucker branches (I had no idea tomatoes had suckers)!!

If this doesn't work I will definately start hand pollinating...

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Fab Mindy: "Go Bucks!" ha, ha. We may be in Ohio, but folks in these parts are severely divided between the Buckeyes and Wolverines (we're on the border with MI, obviously.) We even have a few locations of a store: The Buckeye/Wolverine Shop. I'm an Ohio girl, but my DH is a relocated Michagander. Makes for interesting conversation, if nothing else!

Good luck with your tomatoes!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”