eer_77
Newly Registered

Help! Caterpillars destroying my tomatoes

My tomatoes are finally growing and ripening, but they've suddenly become infested with caterpillars that are boring into the fruits. They are little black caterpillars (~1-1.5 inches) with a small green and red stripe running lengthwise down each side. I don't know what to do and I'm afraid my entire crop will be ruined as there are more and more caterpillars each day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A relatively quick, short ter, organic answer is Bt or Dipel that contains the bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis for next year, an ounce of prevention is worth about ten bushels of tomatoes.

Take a look at this website and it will give you all the answers you need. It also contains information on Dipel.

https://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol2/caterpillar_info.html

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

BT is a good safe answer. Try it soon and hand pick as many as you can in the meantime...

Scott

eer_77
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice. Is Dipel a product that many organic gardeners use?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, and commercial organic gardeners also use it.

Grey
Greener Thumb

So far DH & I are handpicking the buggers off. We're lucky we only seem to have one or two a day. They even started in on the basil, and I don't often see things eat basil!

As a side tho, which catepillars should we not be killing? Ours are black and a yellow/white stripe, so I haven't been killing them so much as moving them elsewhere.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Don't know about cateripillars that you shouldn't be killing. They are all voracious eaters. (I also wouldn't try to kill ALL of them because well, there is that whole insect population thing :wink: )

But, for next year; you guys may wish to plant some guilds where you include flowers with your food plants that attract beneficial insects such as predatory wasps to eat the caterpillars. And not to mention plants that will repel the butterflies and moths that lay the eggs that give rise to the caterpillars.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yellow and black stripes could be so many; describes monarch and swallowtails as well as several bad guys (although I'd be awful suprised to find those two on your veggies) Howzabout a pic?

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

Monarchs were the ones I was concerned about, as I seem to recall they have black stripes. And I like butterflies - so I don't want to kill them off, just redirect them somewhere that I don't mind gets really lacy looking leaves. lol.

I'd supply a photo, but I somehow managed to leave my camera at my folk's house in FL. My cell takes photos but haven't managed to figure out how to get them to the computer yet - reading the manual might help but who does that?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A fellow technophobe mod! :lol: Excellent!

Monarchs have tight yellow, white and black stripes and are three or so inches long. Plus they only eat Asclepias, or swamp milkweed as a larval food source, so I really don't think it's them. Google image for Monarch catepillar; I got good images right off...

Scott

miaviva

Help! I've been plagued by hornworms for the last three summers. Is there anything one can add to the soil in the fall or early spring to prevent the problem from recurring? Will an application of Dipel to the plants now help with next summer's crop? I don't know how to get ahead of the problem.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The BT is still the best answer there...

HG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”