greenthinkglobal

Tomatoe plants getting tall. Need some advice

So, I've been growing Tom's for a couple of years and this hasn't happenned to me so I need advice. My Tomatoe plants are getting tall, maybe 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall. There are a bunch of green tomatoes and I'm waiting for them to rippen. However I'm worried that these plants are getting to tall. Is it possible to cut them from the top? Perhaps a foot or so without any ill effects. Much of the fruit or floers are about 3 1/2 to 4 feet high? Suggestions please.

Carre

I don't think tomato height is a problem as long as the plants are well supported. If you don't have heavy duty cages around them now, there's always next year. Of course you can always jimmy up something this year - you're an engineer! :P

Your plant are big and producing lots of tomatos. That's a good thing.

I say this mostly from observation of the 300+ neighbors in my community garden where some of my neighbors have tomatos plants that are about 6.5 feet tall.

Seems like a bigger concern might be keeping the air circulating through the plants.

If the greenery is dense, selectively prune some of it off so the air can get into the center of the plant.

Please let us know what works for you.

greenthinkglobal

Thanks Carre....I've jimmied things up, I was able to make a pretty sturdy free floating terrace. My garden sits in the corner of two fences and I was able to suspend poles and fencing above them. We'll see if this works, I'm pretty optimistic thus far. How's your garden growing? Thanks again.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”