kmathrn
Newly Registered

Need Help/Info with tomatoes

My tomatoes and other plants are producing lots of blooms, but no fruits. Am I doing something wrong or using the wrong fertilizer? My plants are nice size and look really good, but I have very few vegetables. I have been using miracle grow once a week, and I have to water virtually everyday because of the heat where I live. But I am dying for fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and haven't had any yet. The plants have been in the ground for approx 3 months or more. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

MaryB

kmathrn wrote:My tomatoes and other plants are producing lots of blooms, but no fruits. Am I doing something wrong or using the wrong fertilizer? My plants are nice size and look really good, but I have very few vegetables. I have been using miracle grow once a week, and I have to water virtually everyday because of the heat where I live. But I am dying for fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and haven't had any yet. The plants have been in the ground for approx 3 months or more. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
I would stop with the Miracle Grow. It has a tendency to boost up the foliage and not the fruit.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If you are getting plenty of blooms, then the problem is not likely too much fertilizer. Two things that I know of will cause the blooms to drop and not set fruit. One I most often experience in the cooler part of the early season, is lack of pollination. If the bees are not active then the flowers can miss getting polinated and will drop and not set fruit. The other common cause of blossom drop is high temperatures. I'm not sure of the threshold, but somewhere over 90 degrees the blossoms will often simply drop without setting fruit. One thing that you can do is simply tap the bushes near the fowers early in the day after the dew dries. That will often cause enough pollen to disburse to polinate other flowers.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”