yoki

Tomato problem, leaves curling HELP

My camera is broken but I have curling leaves bad, I see lots of black spots on top of the leaves and brown blotches under neath the leaves......

I know that I've had way to much water because of flooding where I live, but I don't know if the spots are some kinda bug poo or bacteria.....

Anyone have any ideas that will help me diagnose the problem and then any tips for treating it?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a fungal infection try spaying your plants with a dilutted milk solution daily.

cheshirekat

If you use milk, you want to use one part milk to nine parts water. Don't use straight milk because the high fat content will attract critters and diseases you don't want. Skim or 2% is best.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've used a 50:50 mixture with no ill effects. I've never heard of milk causing any diseases. If you did a straight 100% mixture, I could see some mold forming.

yoki

Ok will try spraying some milk to see if that helps, I tried stirring the soil around all the plants too to try to get more oxygen to the roots

The black spots do come off the leaves if I scratch it with my finger nail so does that mean its bug stuff?

yoki

k I tried spraying them with milk, I think I mixed it about 5 or 6 parts water to one part milk.......

How often do I need to spray them with it? Or should I see effects from one treatment ?

I've been looking and looking for bugs and can't see any so its almost gotta be fungus / disease / bacteria / or virus ? And with all the excess water I've had would lead to those problems also ?

Last question for today :), should I be treating the soil with milk also or just the leaves?

Sentinel

I also have a question regarding spraying milk on the tomatos. Well that and spraying epsom salt. Can you make a mixture of salt and milk and spray at once? Or should I make different mixes? Also, besides tomatos should I use this spray on all my veggies or will the tomatos only benefit from the calcium and magnisium. Thanks for the input. Oh and I would also be interested in finding out if you just spray the foiliage or do you treat the soil and foiliage. Thanks.

cheshirekat

Different gardeners have different opinions for using even organic methods. There are many recipes for the recommended ratios of many organic sprays that you can find all over the internet. Some even suggest 100% milk. If you aren't sure of the recommendations you receive, follow up with research until you find sources that you can trust.

Anyone with the capability of getting text into a computer can publish a web page, have a blog, plagiarize another source, have a typo, or provide misinformation. In the end, you have to decide which is safe for your plants, how often to use any prescribed method and also evaluate the effectiveness or harm of the options you choose.

How often you use a treatment ties directly into what ratio of the treatment you use as a main factor. Other factors may include your climate, time of application, and whether the plants are getting proper nutrients and environment to make it more susceptible to powdery mildew - so treatment may not work effectively long term. Researching why a treatment works, at least the basics, and why "more" is not always better will probably clear up a lot for most gardeners. Or at least make it easier to determine the voice of reason you want to follow. You can always opt to switch treatments if one doesn't work or causes more problems.

As far as the milk goes, you can use it on other plants besides your tomatoes - most plants that have a smooth surface are ones that I'd use them on. I'd avoid it for plants that are very hairy or have hair-like leaf textures like lamb's ears. But again, knowing why involves a bit of research. Some recommendations are to avoid getting too much of the milk in the soil - will make those roots seem even more tasty to some underground critters. Epsom salts can be used in the soil, watered in. Different schools of thought on how good that is though, especially with the frequency that it can be safely used on the foliage.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”