ChapelThrill
Newly Registered

Pellet sized fruit not getting bigger, plant growing taller

Hello everyone, I have read a lot of your posts and learned so much! This is my first year with a garden, and I am learning as I go.

I am encountering something that worries me about my indeterninent tomatoes.
The plants are mostly single stalked or double stalked and 4-6 feet tall. They have grown buds along the way that formed bee-bee sized fruit and an occasional cherry sized fruit. A few of the fruits are growing larger, but most of the growth is upward in the plant.

Now I am still getting lots of new buds at the top and they are forming tiny fruits too. However, I think the growth to the tomatoes at the 2'-3' range has gone stagnant. That area of the plant is a darker shade green and seems mature.

Will these eventually become tomatoes, or do I have to keep letting the plants grow talller?

Here's another piece of background info: Last month in a heat wave, the squirrels decimated my garden and busted up the plants. Following that, I pruned the plants, which got them healthy again. (I now have defenses in the garden). I have used the missouri style pruning, and it seems like there is some correlation with pinching off the end of a leaf and weather the fruit will grow.

Also, I see bees of all size in the garden...

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think! :D

Mommagreen

I know mine only got larger when I watered them and feed them. It could be that you over pruned them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”