Sczi

Romas are nice and red and flavorful, but very small

I have 4 Roma tomato plants growing in containers, and I'm just wondering about the final size of the tomatoes. The bushes themselves are fairly small but they each have 10+ fruit. We have eaten a bunch of the tomatoes, and they are very tasty, but they're incredibly small, even for Roma variety. My only experience to compare them is supermarket tomatoes, so maybe I should not use them as a basis of comparison due to the chemicals they use? Here is a picture of the bushes. This picture is 2 weeks old, and right now maybe more than half of the tomatoes are red with maybe 1/3 of those a deep red.

Besides that, will this be a common trend for me in home gardening, trying to be mostly organic, that my veggies will be smaller but better tasting?

[img]https://www.drewelise.com/garden/garden3_88.JPG[/img]

cheshirekat

Are you using any fertilizers? Tomatoes like to be fed. I'm using organic fish emulsions and worm casting tea for mine. I also have some organic food specifically for berries and tomatoes that I will use when I see more fruit on the plants I have.

Also, how often are you watering? Some companion plants, like basil, will help your tomatoes be more healthy.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The last time I grew Romas was 1994 (the year before The Car Wreck). I'm growing them again this year.

My Romas were in the ground and grew to about 6 to 7 feet tall! The tomatoes were approx. 2-1/2 to 3 inches long and 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches wide. There were loads of them; dozens on each plant. Very red. Bigger than at the store. Very tasty (*after* being cooked; see my post elsewhere under "Best Variety?").

We had mixed in our homemade compost--and that patch had had compost mixed in for several previous seasons--and maybe liquid kelp when we first planted them. I remember random applications of kelp throughout the growing season.

What are yours planted in? Are the buckets 1 gallon? You could be restricting the plants' growth by restricting their roots.

Other HG'ers may have other ideas...

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Sczi

I fertilized them 3 or 4 times with miracle grow before I knew better, and I have since switched to a semi-organic mixture. They're growing in bagged soil, kind of loose and chunky, not fluffy like potting soil, and I did not mix in anything. After reading some of the soil cocktails people on here use, I suspect my bagged soil just needed some extra stuff mixed in. So will these plants eventually die so I can take the dirt out and mix in some extra stuff? Do tomatoes have roots that run close to the surface? Like little skinny spidery roots? Because when I added that new fertilizer, it said to try to mix it in 2-3 inches deep, but when I tried it, it felt and sounded like roots tearing, so I didn't go that deep.

I water every day or every other day, but we have had a long dry spell here, so they're getting the hose exclusively, and we have fairly bad water. Very hard, and chlorinated. I'm getting ready to install a rain barrel, and I have been advised to put a big screen top on it so I can fill it with tap water and let the chlorine evaporate. How much impact will my tap water have?

They are growing in 5 gallon buckets with a 2-3 inches of rocks and then dirt. What could one realistically expect from that constraint, assuming they were originally potted in better soil?

Anyway, the 7 foot high roma bushes with 3 inch fruit tells me what I needed to know.. btw, I know they're sauce tomatoes, but I could use romas exclusively, including eating them raw on burgers and salads.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”