boobiepiebaby
Newly Registered

manure

I have yellowing plants and was told I need manure. what kind should I get? is there a substitute I could use? do I HAVE to buy anything or can I somehow make my own? {not literally :lol: }

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If you are a coffee drinker used coffee grounds will suffice. They contain a different micro nutrient profile than manure and are excellnat for the soil. You can usually get them for free from local coffee shops and yes, Starbucks.

Blood meal works, can't make your own though :wink:

If you live near an ocean, you can collect seaweed.

Kelp meal will substitute for manure as well.

Grass clippings will also substitute.

And if you just chop up your weeds and prunings (the green prunings) that will also works.

And as a long term solution to a Nitrogen deficiency plant clover and vetch around your plants and in your garden. The roots of these plants harbour Nitrogen fixing bacteria that will add nitrogen to your garden when you cut the plants back. Let the foliage fall to the ground and leave it there, as you cut the foliage off, the plants will slough off part of there root system which will add more nitrogen (and carbon) to the soil.

Don't forget to add a carbon source to buffer the nitrogen addition. Leaves are great but there are lots of other substitutes as well.

Happy Gardening!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”