PLANTQUEEN

recognizing plants from seedlings

I planted so many seeds for perennials outside that I am afraid to weed the garden because there is so much coming up and I don't know what the plant foliage looks like for the seeds i planted and I don't want to accidentally pull out plant seedlings. Who else thinks the seed packages should show pics of the plants before they get flowers for identity purposes??. :oops:

JennyC
Green Thumb

Oh, yes, please. I'm with you there. I've been posting pictures of weeds here and begging for ID's (which many, many people have helped me with).

I tried very hard to plant in regular patterns in my beds, which helps. I figure if I have a neat pattern of seedlings where I know I planted my seeds, it's probably my baby veggies. And I mapped my beds obsessively. But I still don't know what's what for a while if my plant doesn't come up at all! I recently probably killed some peppers when I replanted tomatoes in that bed -- I thought they weren't making, then several came up shortly after I dug big fat holes where some of my peppers would have been for the tomatoes (by this time, I could ID the peppers because I'd also given up and bought some pepper seedlings). Good luck!
Jenny C

PLANTQUEEN

seedlings

Boy am I glad you replyed because I felt like such a jerk. My other problem is that we've had lots of heavy, heavy rain this past month and it kind of pooled my seeds. So I have clumps of foliage, hopefully plants (LOL) and not a garden full of weeds. My veggie garden is mostly patio plants other than a few tomatos planted directly into the ground. (Squirrel problems)
Good luck to you also!! Happy gardening.

cmleeiii

well, if they wont put them on the package, could we start a thread on this site with pictures of seedlings as we i.d them. if we do like jennyc says and map our plots, we can pretty much bet if there are several of the same in a row for peppers, we have pepper seedlings. i am sure we could all benefit from it, i know i could as i had to let all kinds of stuff grow because i didnt want to pull my plants up by mistake. any takers??

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”