Mommagreen

Proper Way to Water Tomatoes?

What's the correct way? I've been using my hose and sprayer, just using a light mist.

I have read it will damage the leaves doing it that way. Is it true?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ask ten different gardeners this same question and you'll get ten different answers....

There is no correct answer for watering plants or tomatoes. If it works, do it. :wink:

I usually just try to water the soil with a hose or watering can but, like I say if you don't see any damage, don't worry.

Trentt

You don't really want splashback from soil onto the leaves because if there are disease organisms present in the soil, this can infect the tomato plant.

I water tomatoes thoroughly but allow the soil to drain well between waterings. They don't tolerate wet feet for extended stretches.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are correct there Trentt however, if you don't use anything ending in the suffix -cide and you compost regularly and use healthy soil ammendments, you shouldn't have to worry about disease organisms in your soil.

They will be there but, the beneficials will far outnumber them.

However, it is a good idea to have as little splash as possible.

wurzelgummidge

I water mine into the soil,and foliar feed through the leaves with a fine mist,also when watering in the greenhouse give the floor a good wetting as it creates humidity and stops plant leaves drying out.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Excellant!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”