lilcee

Tomatoes in container

This is my first time growing tomatoes in a 5 gallon bucket. I usually plant in the ground. They are growing really good and have blossoms almost ready to open. But, yesterday I noticed the leaves don't look right. Some of them are drooping and curling under and some have a yellowish tint to them. I watered them with banana water a few days ago. Is this normal for them in a container or is there something wrong with them? I have two plants in the container. Is that too many? Thanks for any suggestions and help you can give me.
I live in North East Florida. The tomatoes are Roma
Attachments
IMG_20240403_083557428.jpg
IMG_20240403_083548353.jpg
IMG_20240403_083534830.jpg
IMG_20240403_083526487.jpg

applestar
Mod

I’m going to leave most of the informative responses to others with more experience, but my first thought is 2 plants would be too many even for Roma which I believe is a smaller determinate variety? (I actually haven’t grown Roma in years).

5 gal isn’t enough for most typical indeterminates.

In both cases, the container size issue can be alleviated by sub irrigated set up like Global Bucket System or Rain Gutter System.

You might be able to retrofit by using multiple stranded rope or fabric wicks poked through holes from the outside, especially if you tie to a stick that you push through and then position across the opening to keep the wick from falling out.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

In my experience with bucket grown tomatoes, one plant is plenty. Ten gallon container is better per plant. As with all containers it is necessary to add nutrients every week or ten days since watering will flush out fertilizer. I always used water soluble blue stuff with low nitrogen content for better blooms and fruit.

Compared to in ground plants container grown tomatoes were always smaller plants with less production and small fruit size. There are several Florida growers who can give better local advice.

lilcee

Thank you

imafan26
Mod

I would only put a dwarf in a five gallon container. 15-20 gallons for one tomato is my norm. But my tomato can live up to 10 months and it will still have roots going out of the pot holes into the ground. But they don't wilt and only need to be watered at most once or twice a day in the heat of summer.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”