hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes in the compost pile

A few years ago I started growing tomatoes directly in our current years compost, saving most of the compost to be spread in the fall. No other tomatoes that I plant do half as well. This photo is of this years batch growing here in zone 8 with late April planting date. These were seeded in mid December of last year and were nursed through the winter. Were about two feet tall and blooming when set in the compost. First ripe tomatoes were harvested last week.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

:wink: Where have you been hendi_alex :wink: ?!

My backyard doesn't offer very much room so I grow 3 or 4 tomato plants at the foot of the back stairs in 6 gallon pots. The planting mix is 100% home-made compost. The decomposition isn't finished, whatever that might mean :). Seeds of squash and the previous year's tomatoes may show up in the pot. They aren't a problem to remove. As the season advances, the compost settles and a little more is added.

These tomatoes do very nearly as well as those plants in the distant garden, in the open ground. Their production begins earlier because of the more protected backyard environment. I was pleased to see that years ago when I started to do this since I don't really know or have control of the level of the nutrients of the growing medium.

Steve

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I have mostly been posting gardening content on a private hobby board hosted at Investor Village. It has gotten quiet so I decided to reconnect over here. Mostly checking to see if the site is still active. I do wish that photos could be uploaded here, rather than linked to a photo host site. Also, I am a bit disappointed that the level of posting here seems to have dropped to a trickle of the previous volume. I don't understand that lack of enthusiasm, especially given that so many individuals took up gardening during and after the COVID period.

imafan26
Mod

I don't understand why you have to link to a host site to upload photos. I upload from my computer and I don't think I am going to a host site.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Where is the upload tool? When I copy and paste from my photo album into [img][img] the image does not post. If however I copy and paste the photo from a host’s server it works perfectly. I am on an iPad.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

gardener.jpg
gardener.jpg (25.96 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Go to "Full Editor & Preview."
Scroll down to "Attachments" and click that.
Clicking "Add Files" will access your photographs.
Choose File and click "Open."
Click "Place inline."

You can preview to see your attached photo.
You can then click "Submit."

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

20230608_160650.jpg
The picture posting issue has kept me from posting so much in recent years also.
I am now testing the process above to see if I can upload a picture directly.
If it works it is my first tomato "sandwich" of the year.
EDIT: Well I am glad that it worked. Cherokee Purple tomatoes

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Attachments
IMG_0742.jpeg

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

IMG_1274.jpeg

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Nice!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”