Hydro1000
Newly Registered

Tomato Plant Leaves curling/ drying - what's wrong?

Hi, first hydroponic experience. My tomato plants are not doing as well as I hoped. The leaves start to dryand curl up like . Ive posted in reddit and answered all questions people ask, and nothing seems off, other than air circulation, and possibly a need for more air circulation and oxygen bubbles, two of which I have increased.

I have an enclosed tent in the basement and didn't really have any circulation of fresh air, so I now keep my T6 exhaust on #2 speed, desk fan blowing, and had the front opening about 25 degree crack. (Kept it completely closed before) I just opened it 100%, hoping it does better. My chayote plant on the bottom left is doing good, just the 3 tomatoes are not. I purchased better airstones to give it more oxygen. Installed one on the right plant. The left one, I added another line/air stone

I have increased the nutes per instructions on bottle, and I change the water every 10 days.

I am using GH flora series. Currently using the aggressive vegetative state ratio of the 3 Flora series, and PH is around 6.2. Just bought Calimagic and have incorporated that in the last 3 weeks with no changes.

Bought the vivosun ec meter and it read 5196. Seems crazy high? People are saying to heavy nutes will increase ec, but then how do I follow the GH ratio mix?

Someone said epinasty, but I don't really know how to control that.

the right one is flowering though. Have cats so it explains the front opening fence and tent. Could probably remove the tent if people think more circulation is required.

Community input is much appreciated. I will answer any question you have.
20230509_004522.jpg
20230509_004459.jpg
20230509_005614.jpg
20230509_005114.jpg
20230509_005032.jpg
20230509_004549.jpg

applestar
Mod

I’m going to let other folks with hydroponics experience answer related questions. My impressions are based on soil-based cultivation, so I could be mislead by nutrient and salt level type issues….

At first glance, I thought “mites?”. So let’s consider the possibility— do you have a hygrometer in there? (nevermind I see it now)

* What’s has the humidity levels been like? Temperature? (It’s a very good idea to track both — I use remote temperature sensors that logs and keeps track of temp/humidity in my growing areas)

* The lighting could be throwing me off, but is there a dusty, russetted/brown powdery appearance to the stems?
* Any webbing?

…Also, you didn’t mention the tomato variety. Unless it’s determinate type, I would strongly recommend pruning the suckers and limiting to single stem when growing in indoor setting — this is for both easier observation of plant conditions and maintenance/pests and fungal, as well as making best use of limited resources (nutes light water)

Lower leaves below first blossom/floral truss can be trimmed too. And at this point, any leaflets that are completely shriveled and not likely to recover.

applestar
Mod

OK, this is a bit circular, but it occurred to me that this symptom could be seen on “damping off of older plants”

— then had to go review what I know :arrow:
Damping off in older seedlings? - HelpfulGardener.com
viewtopic.php?t=77323

— mentions over fertilization and salts causing similar symptoms :arrow:
Damping-off in Flower and Vegetable Seedlings | NC State Extension Publications
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/damping-of ... -seedlings

— this one has photos of much older plants — not seedlings — like yours :arrow:
Pythium symptoms Older tomato plants
pythium | ufl.edu

https://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/pdfs/Pythium.pdf

Hydro1000
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:29 am
I’m going to let other folks with hydroponics experience answer related questions. My impressions are based on soil-based cultivation, so I could be mislead by nutrient and salt level type issues….

At first glance, I thought “mites?”. So let’s consider the possibility— do you have a hygrometer in there? (nevermind I see it now)

* What’s has the humidity levels been like? Temperature? (It’s a very good idea to track both — I use remote temperature sensors that logs and keeps track of temp/humidity in my growing areas)

* The lighting could be throwing me off, but is there a dusty, russetted/brown powdery appearance to the stems?
* Any webbing?

…Also, you didn’t mention the tomato variety. Unless it’s determinate type, I would strongly recommend pruning the suckers and limiting to single stem when growing in indoor setting — this is for both easier observation of plant conditions and maintenance/pests and fungal, as well as making best use of limited resources (nutes light water)

Lower leaves below first blossom/floral truss can be trimmed too. And at this point, any leaflets that are completely shriveled and not likely to recover.
Thank you for the response!

The temp stays around 67F and humidity stay around 57% I have that humidity/temp reading, and then thr AC infinity T6 with the humidity/trmp probe hanging n3xt to the plant, with alerts for over 60% humidity

Nope, no dusty/brown/russetted/powdery appearance. Stems are thick, green and healthy looking.

They are indeterminate. I usually prune once I see them, in outdoor soil setting. I am cutting thr suckers when they get larger and trying out rooting. One on the right had a real big one I need to take off.

Yup, been trimming a little every day. Just did a trim.
I will check out dampening off links!

20230509_111023.jpg
20230509_111039.jpg
20230509_111137.jpg

imafan26
Mod

What is the air temperature in the tent. The leaves are rolling usually that is because of high temperatures for tomatoes grown outside that are above 85 degrees.

Hydro1000
Newly Registered

The temp is averaging 67F.

I just put window fan in front of the tent opening to give it more circulation.

imafan26
Mod

Your roots are not brown, but they are not as white as they should be. What solution are you using? Tomatoes do better with different nutrient solutions depending on their stage of growth. This would require that you change the soilution for each stage of growth.

Besides temperature, too much nitrogen or root damage can also cause leaves to curl.

Leafy greens that live less than 50 days are easier in hydroponic culture since they would use the same nutrients until harvest since they are not harvested in a mature (flowering) stage.

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1437

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”