Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What variety tomatoes are these?

Interesting video. Tomatoes grow in clusters of 9 to 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzlwI4KUNEo
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

It’s a cherry type — gold yellow color fruit — indeterminate with expected vigorous growth habit needing dedicated care to pinch excess sucker/side shoots for plentiful and sizable fruit production.

Typical number of fruits about 7–10 per truss so not the extra long truss favored by Japanese market growers … so I’m going to guess Chinese variety and most likely a hybrid.

imafan26
Mod

It probably is as Applestar says. In the country, she probably saved the seeds from a market tomato. There are a lot of cherry and grape varieties had have large clusters like sweet Millions, Sungold, and Sun Cherry. But, I would also have to attribute the success to her gardening skills as well.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have never seen tomatoes grow in clusters of 9 to 11 until the past few years. Grocery stores now sell 2" diameter tomatoes in clusters of 4 & 5. I never see these cluster type tomato plants at the garden plant stores. My neighbor gave me a Jelly Bean tomato plant last year it grows 1/2" diameter tomatoes in clusters of about 12 to 14 tomatoes. Jelly Bean tomatoes are sweet as candy the day they are picked but 3 days later they taste like Roma and make excellent pizza sauce. I have a very hot weather 1" diameter tomato that I have been saving seeds from for 45 years but they do not grow in clusters. Lots of people around here want seeds for my 1" tomatoes no one sells tomatoes like this anymore. It would be nice to have 1" tomatoes that grow in clusters of 10.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

All of my tomato varieties grow in clusters or 'trusses' but I've never bothered counting them. I think small cherry types like 'Sweetie' have more per truss than bigger ones; but I don't grow any really large tomatoes. 2 bites is good enough!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:02 pm
Jelly Bean tomatoes are sweet as candy the day they are picked but 3 days later they taste like Roma and make excellent pizza sauce.
I didn't know that! I'm guessing that you are talking about Red but I have grown Yellow Jelly Beans the last several years. I've just about decided that it is my favorite tomato. Be advised that I like most any tomato and realized last year that the Yellow tastes like a red tomato and I like that. Don't know what it says about my tastes ;).

I grew Red Jelly Bean a couple of years. One plant, potted at the foot of the back steps, had some sort of disease problem. The Yellow Jelly Bean right beside it was just fine. Made me suspicious of the Red.

Every tomato may end up in soup or sauce. I usually don't grow any specifically for sauce but surplus fruits are used. And yes, I use the yellow of one sort or another for that purpose. I will try leaving them longer in the basket and see how that may change the texture/flavor.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:20 pm
Gary350 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:02 pm
Jelly Bean tomatoes are sweet as candy the day they are picked but 3 days later they taste like Roma and make excellent pizza sauce.
I didn't know that! I'm guessing that you are talking about Red but I have grown Yellow Jelly Beans the last several years. I've just about decided that it is my favorite tomato. Be advised that I like most any tomato and realized last year that the Yellow tastes like a red tomato and I like that. Don't know what it says about my tastes ;).

I grew Red Jelly Bean a couple of years. One plant, potted at the foot of the back steps, had some sort of disease problem. The Yellow Jelly Bean right beside it was just fine. Made me suspicious of the Red. Our hot weather kills cilantro it last about 1 month longer plants in full shade.

Every tomato may end up in soup or sauce. I usually don't grow any specifically for sauce but surplus fruits are used. And yes, I use the yellow of one sort or another for that purpose. I will try leaving them longer in the basket and see how that may change the texture/flavor.

Steve
My neighbor gave me a Jelly Bean tomato plant last year. He said, that he bought bough his original plants a few years before and saved seeds to plant every year for about 4 years. I saved my Jelly Bean seeds last year to plant this year. This year my Jelly bean plant will be about 5 generations of saved seeds. My tomatoes are red on about 80% of the tomato, and orange on the end attached to the plant. Next day tomatoes may be totally red color. Once tomatoes are 100% ripe they fall off the plant on their own. If I touch a ripe tomato on the plant they fall off. Need to be extremely careful to pick ripe tomatoes they all fall off onto the soil. I learned to give plants a tiny shake all the ripe tomatoes will fall. That seems to be the best way to get 100% ripe tomatoes. Pick a tomato 1 day too soon they are sour. Then we accidently learned if tomatoes are not eaten right away they loose their sweet flavor then taste like Roma tomatoes in about 3 days. I made pizza sauce with our Thai basil, tomatoes, onions, garlic, wow, best flavor pizza ever.

This year I am using Thai Basil seeds and Cilantro seeds to plant between every plant in the garden. Tomatoes plants are 18" apart so I have Thai basil growing in all the 18" spaces. I have cilantro growing in all the spaces between broccoli and Cauliflower. I have Thai basil growing between the melons and cilantro growing between the pepper plants. I have 1000s of saves seeds that need to be planted some where. I read online some herbs repel bugs. Broccoli & Cauliflower are the only plants that will have bugs, wait and see what happen this year. Melons, peppers, corn, never have bugs.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

You are lucky. Broccoli and cauliflower, I don't have many bugs either as long as the white cabbage butterfly is controlled. Corn always has aphids and peppers have mites especially broad mites and thrips. But, I live in a pests paradise and that may partly be because of that.

Certain plants do attract beneficial insects and they can help to reduce pest damage. And some plants like onion, garlic, basil, dill, and fennel either repel or act as trap crops for pests.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:11 pm
You are lucky. Broccoli and cauliflower, I don't have many bugs either as long as the white cabbage butterfly is controlled. Corn always has aphids and peppers have mites especially broad mites and thrips. But, I live in a pests paradise and that may partly be because of that.

Certain plants do attract beneficial insects and they can help to reduce pest damage. And some plants like onion, garlic, basil, dill, and fennel either repel or act as trap crops for pests.
We have white butterflies too, this year I have plant nets. But not sure I can save broccoli & cauliflower from bolting, I have them planted under a shade tree, plants get full shade after 12 noon. Wait and see how this turns out. Our spring weather is short, we often have 95°f temperatures by May 20.

imafan26
Mod

I never thought in the continental U.S. there would be such extremes in weather over a short period of time. I knew you did have extremes between day and night temperatures and seasonal changes, but I did not think you would get hotter than me so early in summer.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:08 am
I never thought in the continental U.S. there would be such extremes in weather over a short period of time. I knew you did have extremes between day and night temperatures and seasonal changes, but I did not think you would get hotter than me so early in summer.
You are surrounded by ocean, your in an extreme temperate zone, ocean water temperature stabilized your air temperature.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, I am in the tropic zone but just under the tropic of Cancer. It would be considered a Tropical savanna to tropical rain forest depending on location on the wet side or the dry side. The ocean, air currents, and latitude does keep my temperature fairly even.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”