BuddhaHead Steve
Newly Registered

Tomatos to close to grow lights...

I built an indoor greenhouse for starting seeds & starts. It has a 4-bank of Bruple lights (14 hrs a day) adjustable up to 36 inches above the shelf. Heated & averages 72F. My tomato starts were planted end of Feb. in 4" pots. Transfer to 6" pots 2 weeks ago. Well, they must love their house because they are now 30" tall and nearly touching the LEDs. Some would say great, but I live in Seattle and "normal" transplanting day is May 14... Mothers day. What do I do??? The lights are as high as they can get...

Do I lower the temperature to slow the growth?
Do minimal water?
I don't think that topping is an option.
Put them out early and just bag them every night... Last year the nights were low 40F until mid-June... so maybe 6 weeks of bagging.
We "shouldn't get any frost. But who knows, the weather is so eratic.

Next year I'll wait another month....plant end of March.

Any advice???

Thanks
BuddhaHead Steve

applestar
Mod

Welcome to the forum!

I have several ideas but I have some concerns and need to know more details first.

- What varieties are they
- How many plants do you have? (do you have room and can you experiment with different methods)
- Concerned they may be spindly-tall … did they start out far from lights? May be best if you posted some photos.

My ideas are —
- yes topping is an option depending on variety (with added benefit — you can root the cut upper portion and make more plants) … are they starting to branch already?
- laying on side is an option if they are sturdy and there is room
- Starting to acclimate them outside (in their pots, not planting out) is an option when minimum overnight low temp is in 50’s
- what do you mean “bag” them? If protective structure, I have other suggestions….

…in the future, yes later seed starting, but also, once they have a set of true leaves, grow seedlings at lower temps 55°F to 65°F to slow them down… Kerp seedlings in bright light close to the light to avoid needlessly reaching for the light… we can discuss more for next year — would like to see your set up.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I can't add much to what you've both thought about them, and I don't know how hot those lights are, so I don't know the "safe distance". But you have a good idea for the future - start later! It is about the same around here - they say to plant them on "Mother's Day", but there are also those buying tomatoes now, because the last frost date in my area is often listed as 4-15. However, that is the average last frost date! The stores don't mind - people just have to go out and buy more, if there's a later frost.

I started my tomatoes even later (4-7) this year, as 4-1 got them too large by the time I could put them out, on 5-8 or 5-9 - we've had a cold May, after a hot April, the last couple years.

Wall-o-waters work great, for extending the season, and protecting against frost. I used to use several each year, to get some earlier tomatoes. However, I don't do this anymore, as the warm soil in those sub-irrigated planters I use a lot of speeds up the plants about the same amount. Around 4-20 is when I'd usually plant outside in the WOWs, and get some ripe tomatoes around 6-20, or a little earlier. And usually something ripening in the last 10 days of June, from some of the SIPs.

imafan26
Mod

I don't have frost dates, so I start seeds outdoors on the bench. I still have to pay attention to temperature and hours of daylight. I did have a heat mat years ago and I tried to grow some seedling in trays under cover. Seeds started too early struggle to germinate and grow very slowly. It is better to just plant at the right time.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”