imafan26
Mod

New tomatoes I am going to try

TYLCV has changed what I can grow. I used to grow mainly indeterminate heat and disease tolerant tomatoes. Now, I have to grow TYLCV resistant and/or determinate tomatoes I can grow in a tree bag.

Usually, I grow 3 different varieties a year. A healthy indeterminate tomato can last 10 months. I was surprised that Sun King determinate tomato lasted 7 months in 2022. I might try to squeeze in a couple of more of the compact varieties and some of them may or may not work out. These are the varieties I want to try. I may not get to all of them this year. I might even try some of the other seeds I have. I may be lucky and the seeds may have natural resistance to TYLCV. I won't know until I try them. The ones without resistance usually will show themselves early.

Warrior:71 days. Resistant to nearly everything, including Yellow Leaf Curl, but not Blight. Huge, 12 to 14-oz., deep red, slightly ribbed fruits with fabulous flavor. Well adapted to virtually any climate. Determinate. I have already started this one and so far it has survived the rain.

Rosella Crimson: 70 days from transplant –Rosella Crimson is a regular leaf dwarf variety that produces oblate medium to medium large fruit that ripen to a crimson pink color. The flavor is well balanced and sweet, and the variety is quite prolific. It originated from a cross made by Patrina Nuske Small between Budai Torpe and Stump of the World, named Sleepy. Selection from the Dwarf Tomato Project. The first one I started did not survive the deluge. I replanted it and so far the seedlings (2) are growing slow but well.

Rosella Purple: 65 days. A darker cultivar of the same cross as Rosella Crimson. Dwarf Tomato Project

Bella Rosa:High disease resistance without sacrificing flavor. 8 to 12 ounce fruits. Recommended for hot humid climates. Semi-determinate, resistant to verticillium, fusarium wilt, Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (TSWV), and Alternaria Stem Canker.

Bush Early Girl:54 days. This is the "little sister" of the popular Early Girl hybrid tomato, and produces larger fruits than the original. Determinate dwarf plants reach a maximum of 3' tall and are perfect for growing in small spaces. Fruits are 6 oz, high yields, and heat tolerant.

Silvery Fir Tree: 73 days, determinate — 'Silvery Fir Tree' plants are compact (eighteen to twenty-four inches high) with interesting, unusual, delicate, lacy leaves. he fruit are red in color, oblate in shape, weigh between four to ten ounces each, have a meaty texture, and in our fields deliver an excellent, balanced flavor.

Fred's Tie Dye:75 days, dwarf — The rugose, regular leaf dwarf plants of 'Fred's Tie Dye' are among the taller growing of the dwarfs.They are vigorous and productive (five to six ounce average), round, purple with jagged gold and green stripes and the deep crimson flesh of black tomatoes. 'Fred's Tie Dye' has a rich, intense, balanced flavor.It was selected from a cross between 'Dwarf Wild Fred' and 'Pink Berkeley Tie Dye' made by Vince Lavallo, "Dwarf Tomato Project" selection

Tasmanian Chocolate: 85 days, dwarf — The plants of 'Tasmanian Chocolate' have dark green, regular leaf, rugose foliage, stout central stems, and grows to three to four feet in height. The fruits are oblate, ranging from five to twelve ounces, and ripen to a deep mahogany color. Flavor is full, balanced and delicious. 'Tasmanian Chocolate' originated from a cross between 'New Big Dwarf' (an historic large fruited pink dwarf) and 'Paul Robeson', made in 2006 by Patrina Nuske Small in Australia. The variety was further selected and named by Linda Reid of Tasmania. Now past its ninth generation, it is a quite stable open-pollinated variety but still may produce the occasional off-type plant.

Homestead 24: 80 days, determinate Sets fruit under a wide range of conditions. The plants are large with heavy foliage and produce seven to eight ounce red fruits that are meaty, firm, and consistently uniform. It is resistant to fusarium wilt.

Amelia: The best variety for the hot humid climate of the Southeast. Large, firm, bright red, crack-resistant fruits with super flavor, whether picked green or vine ripe. Unsurpassed disease resistance.

Goliath Bush Early Hybrid: 60 days. The identical strain to the original Goliath Bush Hybrid introduced in the 1990s, specifically bred for those with limited garden spaceCompact plants grow to 3 ½-ft. with the typical “patio” appearance, but with extra-large, bright red, 3 to 4-in. fruits filled with sweet, yet real-tomato flavor.

Heatmaster: 75 days. Our best choice to tackle any adverse summer condition. Globe shaped, 7 to 8-oz., deep red, flavorful fruits are produced even when the temperatures soar into the mid 90s. Superb disease resistance for broad adaptability. Determinate.

Phoenix: 72 days. Broadly adapted to virtually any area with both high temperatures and high humidity. Bright red, 8-oz. fruits of the highest quality are perhaps even more productive than the 'Florida 91' variety, already with a loyal following in the South. Determinate.

Mountain Merit: 75 days. This AAS Winner has high resistance to tomato spotted wilt virus, late blight and intermediate resistance to early blight! Deep red, firm, 10 to 12-oz. fruits are flavorful, slightly oblate, smooth, uniform and crack-resistant. Determinate but needs support.

Mountain Magic: A smaller sister to "Mountain Merit™," super-sweet cocktail fruits that appear in trusses of up to 12 globes! Disease package includes high resistance to late blight and tolerance to early blight. Compact plants are ideal in containers. 4-5 ft

Tycoon: 80 days. Solanum lycopersicum. (F1) The plant produces high yields of 9 to 12 oz red beefsteak tomatoes.Heat tolerant. Disease Resistant: VFNTSWV, TYCLV. Determinate.

Rally: 72 days. (F1) This early maturing plant produces high yields of large red tomatoes. They are very sweet, firm, and flavorful. Suitable for the Southeast region of the country. Disease Resistant: V, FF, St, ToMV, TYLCV. Determinate.

Pamela: 80 days. (F1) The plant produces high yields of 6 to 8 oz red tomatoes. They are very sweet, juicy, and flavorful. Indeterminate. Disease Resistance: V, FF, N, TMV, TSWV, TYLCV.

Bush 506: Bright red fruit grows on strong vines that reach only about 18 inches tall. Plants are drought tolerant and yield well. Medium-large tomatoes have a mild flavor with a hint of sweetness and are blemish-free. Determinate. 62 days

New Big Dwarf: Compact plants only become about 2 ft. tall yet produce a very early harvest of flavorful deep pink tomatoes that grow up to 1 pound, but are more typically 8 to 12 ozs. This variety is wonderful in the garden and also in containers since the plant stays small while delivering large and really delicious tomatoes. We consider this an heirloom tomato as it was created before 1915 by crossing the Ponderosa and Dwarf Champion varieties. Determinate. 60 days.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I had a hand in several of the Dwarf Project varieties including Rosella Crimson, Dwarf Wild Fred which is part of Fred's Tie Dye, and Tasmanian Chocolate. Most I thought there were photos of but the only one I could find was Tasmanian Chocolate:
IMG_1869.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I am excited to try these. I like the black tomatoes. Most have a smokey flavor. They are not the most productive and I don't expect that on a smaller plant. But, I do want to grow a tomato with a chance of getting a better flavor.

I have grown early girl and New Big Dwarf before. I liked that New Big Dwarf produced a lot of large beefsteak tomatoes on a 2 ft plant. It won't produce as much as an indeterminate, but for its' size it was productive. Early Girl did better than I expected. I found a bush Early Girl that I can grow in a tree bag.

So far, the TYLCV tomatoes I have grown have all proven to have very good all around disease resistance to fungal and bacterial diseases. However, the majority of them are determinate and are not heat resistant so they stop producing once the temperatures go over 85 degrees and will only start up again once the weather cools. They are not bred for flavor, but they are fine if use them mainly for cooking.

I also have some tomatoes from a local seed company that sells Sakata seeds. There are a few tomatoes that are TYLCV resistant in that collection Katana, and Organge marmalade. Katana did not have very good reviews in terms of flavor.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”