woodsperson
Newly Registered

Pink Brandywine in the high desert of Idaho

Hi All,

Originally from West Virginia but live in Kuna, Idaho. We have several weeks of mid 90s to 105. My beefsteaks killed it here (filled a 4 gallon stock pot and still had some left over from just two plants) and better boys did just ok, which to me seems backwards as beefsteaks can be finicky. Back in WV I did well with Pink Brandywine, but here I got nothing but endless blossom drop. I'm assuming its too hot & dry. Do any of you have suggestions on growing them here or can suggest another pink variety that will doo better? I bought some pink oxheart seeds to grow in a couple of pots in a shadier area of my yard. I'm hesitant to do another pink brandywine right now since I've heard mixed reviews in my area, and I have heard of oxhearts doing well in the hotter south but more humid south.

applestar
Mod

A few off the top of my head — but not positive about hot/dry adaptation

* Terhune
* Earl’s Faux
* Fishlake Oxheart
* Dora
* Prudens Purple
* Royal Hillbilly
* Zena’s Gift (maybe — not by personal experience — wasn’t productive for me but was very productive for BIL)
* Rebel Yell (also not by personal experience, but often touted by southern and midwest growers)

…will post more as I remember them …

woodsperson
Newly Registered

Awesome I'll look into the Rebel Yell. I bought my first house last year and did a garden for the first time in Idaho, mostly pots and raise beds on legs, I got the blossom end rot under control. Looks like I may have to provide some shade cloth on the west side, but I also plant some fruit trees that have grown a bit that may help with that.

Back in WV I only gardened in the ground so the raised beds is a bit new as well as the desert environment. Overall everything did well enough for my first time except my black prince and pink brandywine. My Golden Jubilee started slow with a lot of blossom dropping but recently BLEW UP with fruit. I hope they can grow a bit bigger before the frost hits next month.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

@woodsperson, I'm at the other end of the state to the north, 600 miles away. Nevertheless, our Summer weather looks much the same. We had the 90-100+ degree days after the PNW finally warmed up after an unusually cool Spring.

My tomatoes had real problems setting fruit and are just now coming on strong. We have had frosts by now many times in the years that I have lived here but the forecast weather looks good for a week or so. Cooling off - Thankfully and maybe, some rain. (The nearest airport recorded an official "T" for a "trace" of rain in August and, except for a hailstorm that hit my garden but not the airport - zero September precipitation, so far.)

I have found that Pink Brandywines are just a little too late to have more than 1 or 2 ripe fruit before the season ends. The cool nights through the growing season is likely the most important reason. Those cool nights limit my choices and I stay under the 80 days to maturity line for choices. I have grown Gary O Sena for about 10 years. It is a cross between Brandywine and Cherokee Purple. It seems to do fine ... although the 2022 plants are loaded with green fruit and have ripened only a few. Restoration Seed in Oregon is where I have purchased Gary O Sena seed.

BTW - Cherokee Purple is more of a pink tomato than a purple. And, perhaps you should know that Gary O Sena has something of green shoulders, even when ripe. Finally,

Steve, Welcome to this Corner of the World!
edit: Sorry, I was thinking of Prudens Purple rather than Cherokee Purple. Grew Prudens for a few years but haven't tried Cherokee Purple.

applestar
Mod

Yep. Gary O Sena is a sister (brother?) …SIBLING!… variety to Dora from the same cross. :()

woodsperson
Newly Registered

Awesome. Thanks for the tips, We did have a late start to the growing season here it seems. Took out my cucumbers. My parents back in WV got blighted out this year and only got 18 quarts out of 35/40 some plants. Its sad to hear when 150+quarts were typical. I cant believe the garden we grew back there was 3000 sf more than the dang lot I live on. I'm guessing being able to start around the beginning/middle of April there helps, we frost there about the same time as here.

I was searching online and Johnny's Seeds said the estiva and grand marshal (reds) are supposed to set better in heat so those 3 beefsteaks and maybe 1 early girl (despite the basic taste, not bad, but not spectacular), and 1 mushroom basket (75 days), will be my reds with two yellows (lemon boy, buffalo sun), 2 pink (pink oxheart, pink girl), and a couple of cherry tomatoes (probably a cholate & a orange). I only say this as I bought/have the seeds already. I'm thinking of getting/making a grow tent/compartment for a handful of veggies for the winter.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”