ZipFunk
Newly Registered

Trying to figure out why plants aren't producing as well as previous years.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so if I misstep Let me know.

In 2019 I pulled 507 lbs of San Marzanos out of my garden!!!.
Since then the production has diminished. :(
I've tested the soil and found I was depleted on all levels so I added 15-15-15 from my farm store.
The pH was fine.
I did a liberal sprinkling in the beginning of April and a lighter one the beginning of May.

We start our plants indoors April 15th from quality seeds.

When we transplant them outside they're put in holes that are filled with a loam consistency.
We make a little semi circle around the plant (not touching the roots) and fertilize with 6-12-12.
We fertilize with 6-12-12 approximately 2 (ish) weeks later.

They have even consistent watering and are pruned well.

The plants aren't as tall as they have been but I do notice theres a lot of pruning. The nitrogen may be a little high.

We have healthy looking plants and there are lots of flowers but not much in the way of fruit.

I would love to relive my glory days having to pick too many tomatoes.
If I'm missing something or if I'm going at it all wrong any help is greatly appreciated.

I realize I've written a small novel here and I apologize. I just want to be specific in what I've done thus far.

Drew

PaulF
Greener Thumb

As an anti-pruner, that may be one problem. If by soil test you mean analyzed by a professional lab and their recommendation was for 15-15-15, that should mean the entire garden space should be in balance and extra fertilization would not be necessary. That would solve the extra nitrogen situation...if that is part of the problem. Most, if not all, home soil tests are very inaccurate. Pro testing labs would give actual results and they are done dirt cheap (sorry).

What I don't see is your location. A major reason for differences in production from one year to the next is weather. In my garden, this year, tomato production is very much less than normal. I have kept a journal every year for the past seventeen years. In it I record varieties, dates of harvest, number of tomatoes, weights of each tomato, and weather conditions. Way too much I know, but then this is my hobby/passion.

This year we have had very much higher than normal temperatures, both in the daytime and overnight . Studies have shown that production of fruit diminishes if the temps are too high, especially if the nighttime temps are too high. Right now my harvest is about three weeks behind normal for this time of year.

My novel would indicate a perfect storm of possibilities: pruning too much, fertilization (and pH would be best done by the pro lab if not already done by them) and most importantly, weather. If you are hot, just wait and if it cools the harvest will get better, unless it frosts before the growth. Do a professional soil test. If you do that already, the answer is short. WEATHER AND TEMPERATURE.

Sorry, you get me started and I am hard to shut up.

ZipFunk
Newly Registered

PaulF wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:40 pm
Pro testing labs would give actual results and they are done dirt cheap (sorry).
Do not apologize for that. hahaha

Thank you for the detailed response. It's greatly appreciated.

I'm in Southern Ontario ( should have stated that as well) and it has been too hot (34°)
I just used a store bought soil test. I foolishly figured it was good. I'll find a soil testing place around here. I'm sure my farm store knows a few.

I'll take care of the soil first. The weather is out of my hands although its getting cooler now.

Thank you again,

Drew

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”