PAGardener
Newly Registered

What is going on with this tomato plant?!

First year gardener things were going fine until about a month ago I applied a heavy mulch layer to the bed and shortly after something almost ate through the stalk of the plant so I gave it proper support and hoped it would survive, it did. However since mulching 2/4 of my plants experience pretty severe leaf roll and the lower branches started growing in a way I cant find any information on the newer growth looks good from what I can see. Hopefully someone knows whats going on.

P.S - I forgot to take the picture of what I'm talking about unitl AFTER I removed the thick brittle curled lower growth.
Attachments
20220716_073218.jpg
20220716_073232.jpg
20220716_073237.jpg
20220716_085026.jpg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Cupping and leaf roll is often a sign of herbicide damage. Not knowing the source or type of mulch, which looks like wood chips, that may be the problem. The mulch may have been treated with herbicide at some point and the residual, even a small amount, will affect tomatoes.If you are sure of the mulch, it may be that the plants need to be watered. I am not a fan of wood chip mulch, but some mulch is better than none.

As for what is eating through the stems I would say it may be a stem borer but that is only a guess. And that borer may have hitched a ride to your garden in the mulch.

applestar
Mod

Do you have more than one plant?

Leaf roll is not unusual especially when hot and dry, alternating with excessive rain. Some varieties are more prone, and sometimes the plants are trying to conserve moisture from evaporating out of the leaves.

But basically for whatever reason the leaves are not getting enough water to stretch out.

So alternate possibility is that the plant has root damage, or in this case, if this is the plant that had the injured stem, there might be constricted moisture uptake.

What does the healed stem area look like?

Also, without seeing the actual damage, it’s hard to say what the culprit was, although the stalk/stem borer is definitely one possibility. I just found a 2nd plant that has been attacked. ( and if PA stands for Pennsylvania, then we’re in same general region and can expect to see similar pests in the garden)

This plant had a hollow stem all the way up to the first fruit cluster on one branch (I culled the green fruits), and is likely to not be able to mature the 2nd cluster on the 2nd branch either. It explains why this plant has been stunted and has not grown well.

If stem borer, there is a recognizable dark shadow inside the stem that goes up the stem.

If it was something else, it’s possible it/they are still living under the mulch. Try moving aside the mulch and examine for possible tunneling or cutworms, etc. Especially just before sunup, etc. when night feeders return to hide.

Also, remember that you have to water enough to penetrate the mulch and soak into the soil underneath — check after watering and after rain and make sure moisture has soaked in at least 1” (first couple of finger joints)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”