Zipper
Newly Registered

Sungold cherry tomatoes pale yellow spots? Concerned about disease

Some of my cherry tomato leaves have been developing this blotchy, yellow spotted appearance. Some may have slight browning on the edges. My other batch of tomatoes are doing fine except for a few of these. Is this concerning? I am worried if its disease based or maybe a nutrition issue? This is my second year gardening so I unfortunately do not know what to do. I don't believe that I overwater/underwater them. I use Espoma Organic Garden-tone 3-4-4 fertilizer once every 10 days or so. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Attachments
IMG_4901.jpg
IMG_4900.jpg
IMG_4899.jpg

applestar
Mod

There are mites on the leaves — I don’t know what kind but you can see them if you zoom in on the middle photo.

It’s possible the ones you can see this way are predatory mites and the actual pest mites are even smaller. They are microscopic.

Although they are not in focus, the occasional clustered black spots make me wonder there may be two-spotted spider mites.

imafan26
Mod

Spider mites are easier to spot if you look under the leaf for bronzing (reddish color). You can put a piece of white paper under the leaf and tap the leaf over it. If you see paprika that starts to move around after a minute or two. You can also look for spider webbing.

Mites are a common problem in hot dry dusty conditions.

Because they are spiders you need to use a miticide. You need to be careful. Both horticultural oil and sulfur burn plants if you apply them on a hot day.

https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7405.html

Zipper
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:18 pm
Spider mites are easier to spot if you look under the leaf for bronzing (reddish color). You can put a piece of white paper under the leaf and tap the leaf over it. If you see paprika that starts to move around after a minute or two. You can also look for spider webbing.

Mites are a common problem in hot dry dusty conditions.

Because they are spiders you need to use a miticide. You need to be careful. Both horticultural oil and sulfur burn plants if you apply them on a hot day.

https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7405.html
Thank you, I will get some miticide, should I just apply them in the evening then?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”