LikeMarigold

Growing tomatoes...upside down??

Does anybody do this? I'm tight for space and a sucker for convincing marketing. Should I try it?

doccat5
Green Thumb

Yep, but don't buy one..........google for it, there are all kinds of directions on how to make a cheapy out of a 5 gal bucket........LOL they have them for peppers also ;)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've never done it myself but, several of our members have done it over the years.

I have done tomatoes in hanging baskets though, and it works like a trick!

wurzelgummidge

LikeMarigold wrote:Does anybody do this? I'm tight for space and a sucker for convincing marketing. Should I try it?
there is a variety called I think tumbler or tumbledown good for hanging baskets.

JPlovesflowers

My neighbor's mom made her own out of 5 gal ice cream buckets, I think and had great success...Another friend of mine bought the commercial ones and she is having a problem keeping them watered. Don't know how they will produce yet, it's too early in the season. Good luck!

Brandywinegirl

I bought the Upside Down Gardener from Hammacher Schlemmer last year and I got zero tomatoes from it. The herbs grew great on top. I am trying it again this year since I already spent $80.00 on the contraption!
:?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yikes! That's a lot of money! I hope they work!

Is Brandywine your favourite Heirloom? I've never actually done that one.

Brandywinegirl

I know - crazy!!! :shock:

Yes, I do love Brandywine tomatoes - they are my favorite. I am trying quite a few heirlooms this year - I got them from QVC. We'll see how it goes.

:)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You know last year I was living in a town called Qualicum and at the local supermarket they were selling heirloom tomatoes. I was really happy to see that.

Here in Victoria the only place that I know where to get them is at our local organic nursery.

And to grow them from seed myself.

Opabinia

wurzelgummidge

JPlovesflowers wrote:My neighbor's mom made her own out of 5 gal ice cream buckets, I think and had great success...Another friend of mine bought the commercial ones and she is having a problem keeping them watered. Don't know how they will produce yet, it's too early in the season. Good luck!
I found a watering device in a kleeneze catalogue which is a upside down bottle with a drip spout attached which you stick in to plant pot and get slow release of water,still waiting for delivery though. :D

JennyC
Green Thumb

Opabinia, I bought heirloom tomatoes last night at Wal-Mart. You might give it a look.

jules26
Newly Registered

Hi there,

This is my first year growing tomatoes (and first time posting)... I bought Early Girls and Grape tomatoes. My question has to do with the Grapes... my stepmom suggested growing them in a hanging basket, but I'm not sure how this works. Someone mentioned they've done and it worked great, so I would love some tips.

My stalks are already about a foot tall and I'm worried that once planted the stalks will just break off when they start to bend/fall over. Should I have bought them smaller or started from seed to grow them this way? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Also, our backyard faces south, so lots of sun and also pretty windy since we are near the water, so I would also worry about them getting blown around too much.

I have 6 stalks of the grape tomatoes... how many can I plant in one container or should they each have their own?

Thanks in advance- all advice is appreciated!

Rowlett Don
Newly Registered

I have 3-4 different kinds in a upside planter. I went the cheep way. Got the plants from Wal Mart, potting soil from Wal Mart and I used the hanging baskets for 4.99 that I foundin their garden center. The baskets are the kind that has the coconut liners in them. I slit the liner in a X fashon in the center and eased down the stem from the inside. That will leave the root ball in 1 piece. Only used 1 plant per basket and it's working great so far...

jules26
Newly Registered

Oh wow, so the plant is actually upside down? I've been thinking about this all wrong then :) I was thinking of a hanging basket where the flowers simply grow over the edges and thought it would be the same for the tomatoes. It never occurred to me to plant them upside down. Veeery interesting, but I like! Thanks for the input!

cheshirekat

[url=https://www.ritzpix.com/net/ImageShare.aspx?size=large&filespec=9E90B5419211647585865B5E39108A9DC0B0A40A75606A04CE9101EAD655363A5A483C5A8F5265ACB5A8A7339544730C52FB8BB6E2EE5AC807DE6F458DA69DB5D80B9573F9DC7AFAC4CFB526E752AA36993D4617532EF337EA8E3BEEFE775A17418A04821748485AF9F9AE8D14248326&a=4D12B13AD5C058E21552BE9587331C1F4A075E978499D8A26901F12B5A8A1090]Here's my upside-down tomato setup.[/url] Sorry all the photos are slightly on the dark side since I took them early in the morning and the sun wasn't high enough yet. At least part of it. I'm not done getting them all arranged. Some of the tomatoes I planted from seed are still too small, so a couple more weeks for them. I'll take more photos later.

jules26
Newly Registered

thanks for the picture cheshirekat :D How did you get the holes in the bottom of the buckets?

My stepmom plants hers like regular hanging baskets. I think I'm going to try both ways (hanging basket and bucket), plus a 'control group' in pots in case the other two don't work out... lol

My early girls are already flowering, so I'm pretty excited... can't wait to not buy from the market!

cheshirekat

To get the holes in the buckets, I had the hubby use his power tools. I get him to put extra drainage holes in my containers and new holes for buckets and other <I>containers</I> don't already have holes. I got a few cracked containers when he rushes.

Rowlett Don
Newly Registered

I started my 1st attempt using a plastic bucket and here is what I found. I made the hole about 2" across and added several small drain holes. The main hole size was for the plant stem to grow and to prevent the dirt or root ball from working out. I added some plastic wrap between the stem and the outer sides of the hole to keep the dirt in and to allow expansion. What I found was the wind would constantly work the stem and the plants would die. I plan on trying it again when it cools down with a different filler between the stem and the outer side of the hole. I just need to find the right combination of materials. I also used the hanging plant basket with the coconut lining from Wal Mart and that is working fine.

cheshirekat

A two inch hole sounds big to me. I think mine is only slight larger than an inch. I had to work the stems gently through the holes, but didn't want to see the soil falling out without having to use filler. The filler I planned to use, if it was necessary was newspaper.

I am not seeing harm from the wind of my plants. Maybe your plants were weakened by something else? Are you fertilizing them? Was there residue in the bucket before you planted? Are you over watering? Maybe bone meal and egg shells will strengthen them? I also shake the stem a little bit - heard someone say it encourages pollination from the bees. It does seem to release the tomato scent. But that could be my imagination. I've been doing it when the main stem is as fat as my finger - I think it stimulates the circulation for stronger main stem.

Because tomatoes can be sensitive about too much sun, and gusts of wind, maybe you can try a spot where they will get a little bit of shelter or shade?

I'm not sure what else to suggest. I haven't been doing a lot of fussing with mine. I do talk to them a lot and spend time making them feel like famous stars taking their photos. I've brushed against them quite often with no damage. I'm no expert, but am planning to setup a few more of my tomato plants now that the first are doing well. I'd be interested in your solutions in case I run into problems. I love my tomatoes and it fills me with fear to think of losing them.

ssagona
Newly Registered

Yes I have grown upside tomatoe plants and they came out fairly well... They kind of grow toward the sun so make sure there in alot of sun and not in a shaded area..

cheshirekat

My upside-down setup is kind of unique because I can turn the buckets. That way the plants won't get too lopsided facing toward the sun all the time. There is some shade under the buckets and the tomatoes actually look more healthy with some respite from the hot, high-altitude sun we have here.

A couple of the tomatoes I have in containers on the ground seem to tilt away from the sun. They are in direct sun and planted with basil. I keep finding them leaning toward the basil and bending over. Like a low curtsy. I think I will start turning those containers more often to make the stems stronger instead of bent in one direction so much. They are all different varieties of tomatoes and basil and it doesn't matter if the basil is away from the sun or not - the tomato plants all lean toward the basil. At first I tried to position them so the tomato was always getting the direct sun until I realized they would rather lean toward the basil. Interesting relationship.

I would plant basil on each side of the tomatoes but don't want to crows the roots. In the UPD tomato setup, the basil is planted at the opening in the top end. I wonder how basil feels planted upside down - perhaps the columnar basil would be a good candidate for this.

Shaggy

Last year I made my own upside down buckets, out of kitty litter pails.
The hole was made with a hole saw . I planted them right side up through the hole, then used a hole saw one size larger to make a soft plug out of a piece of pool noodle. this made a soft gasket around the stem and stopped any soil falling out.
I grew them right side up for two weeks to make sure they were established then flipped them over and hung them from the garage.
I grew the same strain upside down and normal... both in the same soil mix , same size buckets, same ferts and watering schedule... the upside down bucket produced 4x the tomatoes the regular oned did...

I'm trying to find a pic...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”