applestar
Mod

Important tomato care for green fruits

What are some of the more important tomato care once the green fruits begin to develop? Post things you do that you feel are indispensable.

I guess three things I try to do are
1) supplemental feed with good tomato fertilizer higher in phosphorus and potassium and including micro nutrients like calcium and magnesium, and probiotics

2) try to keep up with foliage disease by preventive spraying (milk spray, beneficial microbes and probiotic spray, eggshell/shellfish vinegar spray) and removing affected leaves especially if the disease start affecting leaves above fruits — I don’t want to remove entire leaf so I try to remove leaflets
44CA3BE0-3D3F-41B8-9710-B3A41BA19108.jpeg
- BEFORE; AFTER; REMOVED LEAFLETS

3) Once the hot days arrive and we’ve had some tropical storm remnants blow through, I start seeing the “hot weather pests” like hornworms and pinworms.
  • Hornworms are difficult to spot but if you look over your plants regularly and feel like some leaves are missing or just don’t look right, start looking for hornworm poop
  • Pinworms can be found by looking for dried up leaflets and translucent spots. Sometimes two leaflets are stuck together. They multiple rapidly if allowed to matuere, so be diligent
8C352C83-5BEF-4380-88BF-AEACF2B004A1.jpeg
— Note that they can defoliate a plant but moreover, if the worms are allowed anywhere developing fruits, they can get inside once the fruit is near ripe and soft enough to penetrate the skin. they usually burrow in near or under the calyx and through the pithy core to a gel chamber.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”