matrinne
Newly Registered

Tomato leaf problems

Hi, I'd like to ask for your advice about my tomatoes. I have about ten plants of big tomatoes and two of them seem to have a problem (all others are fine). Can you please suggest what might be causing the problems? Thank you!

Tomato n1
problem1.jpg
Tomato n2
problem 2.jpg
problem2b.jpg
problem2c.jpg

applestar
Mod

There might be other reasons too, but a couple things I noticed immediately—

- One that looks very pale looks like it might be suffering from mildew — I think I see white spots and patches.
>> I’m a bit biased because I’m following a very strict pruning regimen this year, so to my eyes, this plant is overcrowded by side shoots/suckers and especially with a fence so close, there is lack of generally good airflow

The one with the brown edged leaf — it could be physical damage — again with the fence behind it and the way the plants are staked not very securely, if you had a particularly windy storm, the leaves could have been beaten against something.

* Consider sacrificing a stem so stems/vines are growing in separate directions. 2 or 3 stems/vines at most per big fruited tomato plant is considered ideal (I’m sticking to 2-stem this year and removing all suckers) Use a stake/pole to secure each stem/vine to and tie the stem in loose figure 8 to the stake/pole every 2 or 3 leaves

* LEAN the stakes/poles AWAY from the fence so the tomatoes gain more space between them and the fence.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”