Sideshowsam
Newly Registered

Issues with tomato plants

Ok, I'm not sure what is going on with my tomato plants so I'm looking for some advice. I have 2 types with 2 of each type.

Both Type A looks horrible. Everything curling and wilting. Yellow leaves and overall not great.

Both Type B looks generally good except that they just stopped growing a few weeks ago. They were shooting up like weeds and then just stopped, like frozen in time. The up close photo of the leaf I pulled off one of the Type B plants shows some brown spots and what looks like grey/purple spots.

I have grown tomatoes with fairly good success in these same spots for a number of years.

What do I have here? Overwatering? Some kind of disease? Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Attachments
20210713_231522.jpg
20210713_134409.jpg
20210713_200131.jpg
20210713_200339.jpg

applestar
Mod

I think possible herbicide damage should be considered although disease could also be suspect (it would help to know you location)

What is on the other side of the fence?

Sideshowsam
Newly Registered

I live in the Northeast part of Kansas. On the other side of my fence is my neighbors yard. Its possible he used a weed spray but I doubt it as his yard is mostly a dirt and weed pit and he doesn't do anything with it. Is there anything else I should check on the plants?

applestar
Mod

I thought of something else. With your soaker hose on the surface of the soil like that and not covered by bark mulch, etc. Something that *could* have happened is that the hose was turned on and some very HOT residual water that was in the soaker or the supply hose had been sprayed onto the plant.

The question is why this plant and not others but if the irrigation pattern puts this plant first before the water cools down to the source water from the faucet, then the theory holds.

Sideshowsam
Newly Registered

It is about halfway through on the irrigation flow and the plants in front of it are doing fine. Is there anything I could try and do or spray on them to see if it helps?

applestar
Mod

I really hope some of the more southern state members with experience with wilt-type diseases and such will jump in.

Oh! just remembered one instance of wilt like this I’ve experience with — examine the vase of the plant carefully. Do you see any hole with sawdust-like pike or rose bunch of small sawdust poop? If so you plant gas been attacked by potato stem borer — a caterpillar.

I’ve attempted recovery before, but the wilted leaves won’t be able to restore themselves if wilted condition was sustained.

There are a couple of serious viral diseases that would spread if the plant isn’t pulled and disposed of.

You should also dig down under the plant and make sure the soil around the p look any us as well irrigated as others, just to eliminate that possibility as unlikely as it may be.

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:
Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 am
I came across this evil pest a couple of years ago […]
I called it "stem borer" but it seems the proper name is "stalk borer"

:arrow: Stalk Borer — Department of Entomology — Penn State University
https://extension.psu.edu/stalk-borer

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”