NowMimi
Newly Registered

Tomato seedling advice sought

I started these (see photos) from seed, transplanted them into peat pots a few weeks ago, and have been taking them outside for fresh air and sun during the day. The second leaves on about half my plants started getting papery brown spots, with a few of them beginning to wither. Does this look like overwatering? Under-watering? Temperature stress from the ups and downs? A few nights, I left them on the porch after sunset and it got into the low fifties. The house is usually around 68 degrees. I hope it's not a fungus or something. Do you think I should transplant these to the beds or start over?

Thanks so much!
Attachments
IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0525.jpg

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

NowMimi wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:04 pm
Do you think I should transplant these to the beds or start over?
Haha, I'm personally too stubborn to abandon a plant until it's unmistakably and forever dead!

Seriously my guess is that these brown spots on the older leaves are not something to worry much over. I see this sort of thing quite a bit, but just ignore it; pulling off badly damaged or dead leaves so long as there are good healthy ones. Generally the plants go on to do OK. Admittedly I'm not a fussy gardener and others might shudder. I'm sure my plants don't feel pampered.

No harm's done if you start new plants, but meantime I wouldn't give up on those that are well started.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”