LateBloomer
Newly Registered

Yellowing leaves?

Hi there-

I'm very new to all types of gardening so in addition to starting tomatoes from seed, I bought 2 plants from a local nursery. One plant (a cherry tomato of some sort) started out great. A day after I brought it home, a small fruit started to form off of a low branch. Since then (about 2 weeks) it's grown a little bit and there are other tiny fruits starting in the same area. The problem is that the leaves are starting to turn yellow and stiff in that area. No other area of the plant has fruit - just small buds. It's still in the peat pot that it came in and watering has been regular. I first kept it inside in a sunny location and then had it outside on my porch for a few days. I knew we were expecting a lot of rain so I moved it back inside to its original location.

I'll try to upload a photo later this evening to see if that aids in this "diagnosis". Any thoughts on what I could do to help my toms would be much appreciated!

Erin

LateBloomer
Newly Registered

So I've figured out that these are (supposed to be) Husky Cherry Red. I've also discovered white spots on the outside of the peat pot. I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is some type of fungus and that this plant's a goner. Is there any hope for the plant if I move it to a new container?

This is what it looked like last night. There were two visible fruits, the one shown is the larger of the two.

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/nernanator/001-1.jpg[/img]

When I got home, I started poking around to see if there was anything I was missing. This resulted in the fruit falling off and the discovery of the white mystery substance. You can see one of the white spots just under the label on the pot.

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/nernanator/001.jpg[/img]

This is a closer image of the plant today with the remaining tomato.

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/nernanator/003.jpg[/img]

What do you say; scrap it and buy a replacement or attempt a change of container?

Thanks again.

Daphne

I'm no expert and this is only a guess but it looks to me like it may be getting too much water.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That affliction is actually quite common in tomatoes.

Yellowing in plants generaly means a nitrogen deficiency so give some liquid fish fertilizer diluted as per the instructions on the bottle. (This stuff is stinky so, do it away from a window or door. It's not that bad but, just be forwarned.)

Have fun gardening.!

wurzelgummidge

Daphne wrote:I'm no expert and this is only a guess but it looks to me like it may be getting too much water.
quite likely and they could have mildew, although personally I don't like chemicals a copper fungicide will sort the mildew out,and they need feeding every 7-10 days

Roger

In my opinion, the one fruiting plant looks a little large for the little peat pot. It may be time to pot it up to a larger container.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”