kirby13
Newly Registered

Tomato problem

Hi all,

I'm totally new to the forum and this is my first post. Just wanted to say hi before I post my problem LOL

OK so I'm growing some of my tomato's in pots/containers which were coming along nicely. But I have noticed in the last couple of weeks there seems to be some yellowy tingey discoloration that seems to be spreading.

I don't think it's hurting the tomato's yet and I'm hoping it wont. So I'm just wondering if someone can identify what this actually is.

It does seem to be spreading up the plants as well. Any Ideas what it is??
20200615_160338.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

What kind of tomato is it, and what size of pot? Tomatoes don't like pots except for dwarf varieties. Trust me. Also, when was the last time you fertilized it?

kirby13
Newly Registered

Hey mate, that one is a Grosse Lisse in a 430 milliliter pot. Fertilized last week I think just with some power feed liquid fert. Doesnt seem to be effecting them but it could do so shortly so I thought I would just ask some one.

Here is another one that's healthy and a Black Russian. No issues at all with these
20200609_155256[1].jpg

I will say we have had a rainy winter here which is really unusual for this time of year.

This will be the last time I grow in pots as I'm over all the issues that seem to arise with pots. Always seems to be something :lol: Hahaha

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Any time I had yellow color tomato plants it was caused by low nitrogen or blight. It is interesting your, tomatoes, leaves, stems are all yellow. It has been 40 years since I had yellow like that from low nitrogen I don't remember exactly how it looks.

If your potting soil has a high ph of 8 it will prevent plants from being able to use nitrogen in the soil and also prevent plants from being able to use nitrogen fertilizer. Mix 1 pint of grocery store 5% vinegar with 1 gallon of water start watering the soil with this mixture about 1 pint of water every day for 2 days then 1 pint ever week to lower soil ph see if plants turn green color in about 1 week. If plants turn green no more of this water unless they turn yellow again. Soil should be about 6 ph.

Tomato plants need nitrogen but not very much. Too much nitrogen makes very large plants with few tomatoes. See if you can buy fertilizer with NPK value of 5-10-20 for your tomatoes. Dissolve fertilizer in water give them a good amount the first day then a little bit every day for a week see if leaves start looking green.

It is had to tell if your tomato plants have blight from looking at the photo. Mix 2 teaspoons of Baking Soda & 1 teaspoon dish soap with 1 gallon of water use empty spray bottle to spray plant leaves on both sides also spray the stems & tomatoes. If your plant have blight this spray will stop blight. If leaves continue to die pull them off.

My tomato plants are often under water about 2" to 3" deep water for 2 to 3 weeks each time in springs with no problems. I don't thing too much water is your problem.

Pots are often very dry & very uneven moisture your problem could be pots are getting too dry. Larger pots like 5 gallon buckets will help. If you could set your pots in pans of 2" deep water than might be helpful to prevent potting soil from drying out. If you buy 5 gallon buckets do NOT drill drainage holes in the bottom. Drill 10 drainage holes 1/4" diameter in the side 4" up from the bottom.

I see tile roof on houses in photo. Where do you live? Do you have very hot weather? Tomatoes do not like hot weather. Move plants to a place where they cool early morning sun until 12 noon then full shade the rest of the day.
Attachments
20200615_160338.jpg
20200615_160338.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 9674 times
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

I hope I’m wrong but am concerned I’m seeing signs of mite infestation, including how this is spreading from ground upwards. Would you say there is a russeting/powdery browning effect? Has it reached the new growths at top of plant and affected side shoots/sucker growth? ( this would be very bad). Can you look at the affected leaves under microscope or loupe 60X or higher?

Be aware you can accidentally spread the microscopic pests from plant to plant on hands, tools, and clothing.

kirby13
Newly Registered

Hey Gary350,

I will get a soil test done today and I will update the results with you guys. I do live in Nth QLD Australia which does get hot but it is now winter here and our tomato growing season. I will try and spray for blight and see if anything changes but I don't think that's it.

I think it is some type of deficiency but what it is I have to try work out.

Applestar- I don't think it's mites as its only on two plants with this and I think it would have infected my other 3 plants by now if it was.

I'll update shortly

Cheers

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Chlorosis, iron deficiency?

kirby13
Newly Registered

Ok all soil test are done and all are fine. One was a little low around PH 5 so I've added a bit more dolomite to correct.

Will keep you guy's updated.

Cheers

kirby13
Newly Registered

SQWIB wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:56 pm
Chlorosis, iron deficiency?

SQWIB- I was actually just saying that to the wife yesterday. I really think this is the case and they just seem to have that tinge and color about them. It really does look like the actual Iron color. Will go get some stuff a bit later and see if it starts to green the plants up again over the next week or so.

Cheers Mate

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

SQWIB is right it does look like Chlorosis this is a low nitrogen condition caused by no iron in the soil or iron be locked up so plants can not use iron. It is not very common to have no iron at all in soil, it is more common for iron to be locked up so plants can't use it. Your soil looks like all organic material if it is 8ph or higher that will lock up iron and cause Chlorosis. You need a 99 cent pack of ph paper to test your wet soil. Quick easy 8ph fix is pour 1% vinegar on your soil. Grocery store vinegar is 5% you need to mix 1 cup vinegar with 4 cups water to make it 1% vinegar so you can use it to water your plants. 1 pint of 1% vinegar water on your plants every day should fix Chlorosis in about 3 days. I put rusty nails, stables, metal pieces, food cans, in my soil to add iron.
Attachments
100_6988.JPG
100_6987.JPG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”