Meimisk
Newly Registered

Tomato seedlings leaves curling down?

Hello, this is my first time growing tomatoes. It's too cold for them outside so I started them indoors under full spectrum led grow lights. They're about 3 weeks old and I've noticed that some of the seedlings have their leaves curling pretty badly down and in toward itself. This is only happening to the KBX seedlings and not my other varieties. Is this a disease or am I doing something wrong? Thank you. Image

applestar
Mod

KBX is a potato leaf variety — which you have there — so the seedling appearance will be distinctly different from the other, more common regular leaf variety seedlings.

That said one common cause of curling down is aphids underneath the leaves sucking at the leaf vein. While you are looking also look for signs of whiteflies and other sucking insects. Have you seen any ants in the area?

If you are using led’s be sure the tops of plants are close enough to the light for maximum brightness — looks a wee bit light hungry to me though this is not a major issue at this juncture. Show photo of plants and lights if would like opinion.

Also it could just be experiencing physiological leaf curl which could happen from watering inconsistencies.

Last and least likely — it could have been mixed genetically with a heart-shaped fruit variety which tends to have droopy leaf growth habit.

Meimisk
Newly Registered

Hello! I haven't noticed any insects except for the occasional gnat since these guys are being grown in my personal room.

Right now the lights are about 11" away but I can definitely lower them if it could help, I'll attach a picture here to show my set up.

I've also attached a new picture because the curling has increased since my initial post.

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
15873983540383854051528704017537.jpg
20200420_085312.jpg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Depending on the type of lights, the lights need to be an inch or so from the tops of the tomatoes to keep them from getting leggy. This will help make the stems strong. As to the main question of leaf curl, it looks like the leaves are healthy just curled. I wonder if the curl has to do with the light distance. Having grown KBX for many years the leaf curl is a new one for me.

Meimisk
Newly Registered

I will hang the lights closer to see if that helps. Thank you!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

When I start tomatoes indoors, they get too leggy. When legginess happens, and you transplant the seedlings, be sure to plant them deeper. The buried part of the stem will form roots, helping create a stronger plant.

@Applestar is correct, that type of foliage is called 'potato leaf'; uncommonly seen, but is interesting. I own a few varieties with that trait foliage: Yellow Brandywine, German Pink and Yellow Perfection.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”