TNCatHerder

Is there a way to identify volunteer tomato plants?

I got a late start indoors this year but have a plethora of volunteers from the fruit I composted last year. Same thing is happening with my peppers and some lettuce.

Last year I grew some Branywines that I did not like so I am not planting them this year. I did love my Gardeners Delight cherry toms so I planted those again. I only had 1 Roma last year and most of the fruit had BER so I threw the majority in my compost.

So now my goal is to ID a Roma plant as I am out of that seed and maybe take a cherry plant that has already grown some as opposed to the cherry toms that I started last week that have yet to sprout.

I know I can ID the Brandywines by the leaves so I will just pull those but I can't tell he cherries from the Romas.

Do any of you know enough about those to tell the difference from the leaf structure? I am growing in pots on my deck and will only let 1 of each variety grow up. I do not have room to just let a bunch grow. I wish.

I have the same issue with my peppers. Lots of volunteers but can't ID them. I replanted the yellow bells and Jalapenos last week and would prefer to take one of each that is already growing. I'm out of seeds for Habaneros and I know I have some of those as volunteers. I also had Orange Thais that didn't really turn me on so I don't want to grow any of those again.

Thanks in advance, :()

Also, if any of you are in the Knoxville TN area I would be happy to give away some of these excess mystery tomato and pepper plants. I aslo have some extra Rocket Arugula and Black Seeded Simpson.

applestar
Mod

I can help you with the tomatoes. I have an idea about the peppers, and I’ll share that too.

BRANDYWINE is a potato-leaf variety. This means from the first set of true leaves, they look different from the regular-leaf varieties that are overwhelming majority. Roma’s and your cherry tomato varieties will be regular-leaf. Potato-leaf first couple sets of true leaves are simply shield shaped (what you might typically think of as a stylized leaf shape)

.. Roma’s and Cherry varieties — they are harder to tell apart at first but if compared side-by-side growing in same/similar conditions, the cherry variety will tend to have longer stem distance between leaves as they grow, and they will grow taller faster. Roma’s also would have narrower, droopier leaves IF the cherry variety is round-fruited, but this distinction is not as reliable if it is an elongated fruit grape cherry.

...all bets are off if they had been accidentally cross-pollinated by pollinators or wind activity. :roll:

...peppers — hot peppers *may* have spicy tasting leaves. Pepper leaves are not necessarily as toxic (stomachache) as tomato leaves and young hot pepper leaves are eaten in Asian cuisine, but if you decide to try this method, just taste and spit out as a precaution.

You are lucky you can get volunteer pepper seedlings. I think it’s too cold here. I’m pretty sure there is a discernible differences between habs and c.annums like bells and jalapeño but I couldn’t say for sure what the characteristics are. It’s possible Hab-types I have grown are sometimes lighter in leaf color. But this can be different among individual varieties too. Some pepper varieties tend to have purple-ish stems.

TNCatHerder

applestar wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:34 am
I can help you with the tomatoes. I have an idea about the peppers, and I’ll share that too.

BRANDYWINE is a potato-leaf variety. This means from the first set of true leaves, they look different from the regular-leaf varieties that are overwhelming majority. Roma’s and your cherry tomato varieties will be regular-leaf. Potato-leaf first couple sets of true leaves are simply shield shaped (what you might typically think of as a stylized leaf shape)
I have never heard the term potato leaf before but I understand what you mean. Last season was the first time I grew Brandywines and the leaves didn't really look like tomato leaves to me so I know how to spot those. I have grown maybe 12 varieties of toms over the years and at first I thought they packed the wrong seeds, All of my volunteers are still small and just starting their true leaves but they are going and are further ahead of my indoor plants. After another week I should be able to take pics that will show some detail. Same with the peppers. I must have hundreds of both but a mix of 3 tomatoes and 4 peppers to choose from.
.. Roma’s and Cherry varieties — they are harder to tell apart at first but if compared side-by-side growing in same/similar conditions, the cherry variety will tend to have longer stem distance between leaves as they grow, and they will grow taller faster. Roma’s also would have narrower, droopier leaves IF the cherry variety is round-fruited, but this distinction is not as reliable if it is an elongated fruit grape cherry.

...all bets are off if they had been accidentally cross-pollinated by pollinators or wind activity. :roll:
Do you mean stem distance between the leaves and main stalk going from the vertex to the circumference or vertically between branches? As far as taller and faster I wonder if I will be able to tell because they may not have sprouted at the same time but I will keep an eye out. The cherries I had last year were round not oblong. Hopefully this will help. I try to jiggle every flower I see so I get more fruit and I assume it decreases cross pollination.
...peppers — hot peppers *may* have spicy tasting leaves. Pepper leaves are not necessarily as toxic (stomachache) as tomato leaves and young hot pepper leaves are eaten in Asian cuisine, but if you decide to try this method, just taste and spit out as a precaution.
Interesting. I always prune my peppers to make them stronger. So I can test that for certain with the varieties that I started indoors as they grow. I did not know that either were considered toxic. I do remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't feed tomato plants to chickens as they are nightshade. Never knew the significance.
You are lucky you can get volunteer pepper seedlings. I think it’s too cold here. I’m pretty sure there is a discernible differences between habs and c.annums like bells and jalapeño but I couldn’t say for sure what the characteristics are. It’s possible Hab-types I have grown are sometimes lighter in leaf color. But this can be different among individual varieties too. Some pepper varieties tend to have purple-ish stems.
I lived in KC for most of my life. I was always jealous that my mother could start sooner and grow longer down here. It isn't really hotter here as much as it doesn't get as cold in the winter. Now if I had properly composted I wouldn't have any volunteer seedlings LMFAO . Maybe I have some pics somewhere that will show a difference in the leaves. I need to search for my fall pics off of my phone.

imafan26
Mod

Tomato seedlings are difficult to tell. The rugose type leaf vs the regular leaf is one. The internode space will tell you if the tomato is a determinate or indeterminate and those things will give you some clues to what the tomatoes may be.

Peppers. Hot pepper leaves do taste spicier but are not really very hot. There is a difference in some types of peppers that can tell some of the classes apart. Bell pepper leaves are large and wide. Hot pepper leaves will vary more based on species. Chinense, pubescens, frutescens, anuum or baccatum. I can tell the difference between bell peppers, super chili, Jalapeno, Ghost, Thai hot, and Kung Pao peppers. The main reason I recognize these are because I have been growing them for a long time. I cannot tell the difference between Super chili or Hawaiian peppers until they fruit. The fruit of the super chili is bigger. There won't be any peppers on a Hawaiian chili that is not caged. I can tell a bell pepper from a hot pepper, but not the difference between different cultivars of bell peppers unless I am only growing one. (I am growing about 5 different varieties).

TNCatHerder

imafan26 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 pm
Tomato seedlings are difficult to tell. The rugose type leaf vs the regular leaf is one. The internode space will tell you if the tomato is a determinate or indeterminate and those things will give you some clues to what the tomatoes may be.

Peppers. Hot pepper leaves do taste spicier but are not really very hot. There is a difference in some types of peppers that can tell some of the classes apart. Bell pepper leaves are large and wide. Hot pepper leaves will vary more based on species. Chinense, pubescens, frutescens, anuum or baccatum. I can tell the difference between bell peppers, super chili, Jalapeno, Ghost, Thai hot, and Kung Pao peppers. The main reason I recognize these are because I have been growing them for a long time. I cannot tell the difference between Super chili or Hawaiian peppers until they fruit. The fruit of the super chili is bigger. There won't be any peppers on a Hawaiian chili that is not caged. I can tell a bell pepper from a hot pepper, but not the difference between different cultivars of bell peppers unless I am only growing one. (I am growing about 5 different varieties).

This will be helpful :D

I know the Brandywines are potato leaf type so I can pick those out. I just googled Rugose and saw references to the potato leaves but said it was a hybrid of those 2? link for others

My Romas are determinate and my Gardener's Delight cherries are indeterminate.

I know nothing of internode spacing. Could you explain that to me? That may help me ID them for sure and then I can cull what I don't keep and make room in my seed starting tray where my cherries are now.

Looking at my pepper seed packs from last year,
Orange Thai is Capsicum Annuum
Habanero is Capsicum chinense
Early Jalapeno is Capsicum Annuum
Golden California Wonder is not labeled that way? I assume that is because it is a sweet pepper?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

If you need some Roma seed, I have plenty to share.

May I recommend my favorite tomato book: Epic Tomatoes by Craig LeHoullier. Very informative and shows pictures of the different types of tomato foliage.

imafan26
Mod

Shorter tomatoes usually have stockier stems, and shorter internodes. Therefore the leaves will be closer together on a bushier determinate plant and farther apart on an indeterminate plant. Note that if plants are grown in too much shade, internodes may also lengthen. Determinate plants can be dwarf or under three feet, or up to 5 ft tall. Indeterminates can be 8 ft or taller. Determinate tomatoes are more compact they don't produce a lot of suckers or side shoots. Once the terminal bud sets on a determinate, it does not grow much taller. Indeterminates will continue to keep growing and suckering. Indeterminates are usually pruned to manage them.

TNCatHerder

So I pulled 12 volunteer tomatoes out of a pot tonight/last night. Put them in 6 inch or so terracottas for now. Short term until I can give them away. I have another pot with 12 or so more in it but I'm out of small pots to put them in.

I have already given away the Brandywines. Now I need to differentiate between my Romas and Cherries. I'll try to get up early enough to get pics in the sun light later today.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”