jesses584
Newly Registered

Tomatoes rotting before ripe

I have been growing tomatoes in pots for several summers now. Usually I grow these small cherry tomatoes but this summer people requested I grow full size and some roma. so I did.

on the regular tomatoes they are rotting and growing mold just as they turn red, and on the roma the bottoms of the tomato are turning brown then rotting while still green. some don't even reach 2 inches before the tips turn brown. My mother says it is just because it is hot out, but I have never had this problem before. what is going wrong. The peppers I have growing in a pot right next to the tomatoes are doing just fine. I have enough bees around the outside of my house I know they are getting pollinated. I don't know that they can be saved this year, but please tell me what is going wrong so I can avoid it next year.

thanks

jess

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like your Romas are deficient in Calcium. Before they rot, spray them with a calcium spray that you can get from any nursery. In the future, you might want to put some eggshells into the soil of your pots.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's blossom end rot and it can be treated (although Opa's suggestion is an eggscellent ( :P ) way to avoid it ini the first place). Try neem oil as the fruit begins to set to avoid that problem...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

EGGSACTLY! :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No mas! No mas! :P

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”